Barbel Landing Net

K

Knighty

Had a Rod Hutchinson net until last night, when I got it caught on a log when landing a fish and holed it pretty bad in my panic to free it to net the fish.
So.....am looking for a new net, liked the look of the Fox barbel net with spiked pole as I do quite a bit of wading while trotting aswell, any recommendations would be appreciated, not much on landing nets on the tackle review bit of the site, something with a decent free-flow mesh would be useful though.
Cheers

R

Ron Troversial Clay

My favourite barbel net is a pear shaped job with quite a deep fine mesh that weighs very little. The diameter is 28 inches and the net, without the pole, wet, weighs 12 ounces.

I often weigh the fish in the net and deduct the weight of the net. It saves mucking about on the bank. You can then return your fish as quickly as possible.

I would imagine that the Fox barbel net is very similar. I bought my net from a match carp angler who sold it to be for a fiver. It was too big for what he wanted.

Y

yoggy

hi mate i"ve been using the fox net for about a yr now and its very satisfactory,,my only gripe is the length of the handle,,i find the one piece handles a little short especially when you"ve got highish banks so i am looking to change it at a later date other than that the nets fine.

jp

Reaction score
No need to replace the whole thing, just buy a new mesh and put it on.

K

Knighty

Cheers all, I forgot to mention that the pole for the Rod Hutcho net went in aswell, and was one of the quick release ones, so had a special end on it, so thought I would have a new one rather than struggle sourcing a new mesh AND a new pole, though thanks for the thought JP.
Yoggy, is the one piece handle the one with the spike on the end, and is that the standard item when you order the Fox barbel net?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I think its probably wiser to buy a good, strong three metre handle. You can always leave a section off if the bankside allows it. Also, holding a net at full stretch with a heavy fish in it can get a bit hairy on the riverbank.

I use a two section one and its a pain the butt if the bank is high or there are reeds or rushes in front of me. I keep saying I'll give it to one of the kids down the lake and buy another "proper one". One day......

W

Wolfman Woody

Not seen the Fox barbel net. I use a Fox Predator 30" net and you can attach any handle you wish onto that.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Knighty,

You dont need a spiked handle when trotting in the river - just attach it to a sturdy bank stick as you dont need the length given you can draw the fish in much closer to net it.