Rehydration

M

michael rouse

Is it worth giving rehydrating boilies a go and does it fool warier carp?

B

Big Rik

sometimes it works, but you have to be certain that you're baiting where nobody else is chucking bait, otherwise you putting what looks like old bait over the top of fresh and it defeats the object of what you are trying to achieve.

Remember Michael that carp are only wary of situations that they associate with danger.
If everybody is fishing on the gravel patches with 50 boilies, then they will begin to be wary of this situation.
They feed almost constantly, so if you give them food or a situation which they do not associate with danger, then they are no longer wary.

Simple enough?

B

Big Rik

anybody else want to comment?

or is it not about the latest line or the best bivvy....

F

Frothey

i would've thought putting "old" bait over the top of fresh isnt such a bad idea - it'll look safer wont it? especially if you use single "old" hookbaits.....

one thing you definately dont do is put an "old" bait into a nice fresh pva bag.

do you mean re-hydrating using hemp juice (fr'instance) or just leaving the baits soaking in lake water?

C

Cakey

I use distilled water ..........soak em at home no mucking about lakeside

F

Frothey

salty water..........

theres another one, sweetcorns in brine.....

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Never tried this but would soaking them in the fermenting particles bucket be advisable. Then fish over the said particles.

Wooly

Reaction score
On a recent trip to France I rehydrated air dried Maple 8 boilies with water left from cooking hemp once it had cooled. Took 24 hours to swell the baits back up.
These baits totally outfished the fresh version of this bait.
It was very noticeable that the catfish also preferred this version.
A few words of warning though:
1. They will get very soft and will not always stand a hard chuck.
2. If you use them before they are fully soft the bait needle will be very hard to push through the air dried bit and can easily come out the side of the bait into / right through unwary fingers (just ask my mate Dave)

F

Frothey

two different reasons here...

a:soaking in water to make the baits look "washed out"
or
b:soaking in something to boost the attraction

F

Frothey

maybe, but then its not just the flavour, its the oils, liquids and the soluble ingredients in the bait that do the attracting, so if, for example, everyones using high-oil baits, try a low oil one, or you soak the bait in the lake overnight to get rid of the possible danger signals. thats why i stick a little "washing tablet" bag of baits in the margin overnight. that way IF i catch a fish in the morning, i can put an "identical" freebie out, rather than a "fresh" bait over the top of a load of old ones.

C

Cakey

but thats assuming the "old ones" are still there.................

F

Frothey

but thats assuming they're not...
but if the fish are, are they gonna be more likely to pick up a bait similar to the ones they've eaten, or one reeking of flavour?
both'll catch....sometimes...

F

Frothey

...and it might not.

ok

baiting team are on a lake, and you know which bait they are on. fish are used to coming across uneaten washed out baits all over the lake (as well as fresh), but what would seem safer, one that looks as if its been there a while, or a fresh one?

depends on the cuteness of the fish of course....

B

Barry Edney

What would seem safer? Well... Say most people bait up say, before it gets dark. And a fish comes across a bed of bait at 6am surely they would appear washed out. The fish takes a few freebies and then BANG.... ones got a hook in it. So would they feel safer eating the fresher looking baits? Mmmm...

Would this rehydrating mullarky work with shelf-life boilies? Or is it best suited to air dried baits? I must admit, I hadn't heard of the term before this thread started. Thinking about it, I suppose any boilie would appear washed out after a period of time.

C

Cakey

I just think mr hungry carp would eat both and not even have the brain power to know how long a bait has been in the water,if it has been caught before on both washed out and fresh boilies then it is going to be wary of both
surely food is food to a carp thats hungry

and I dont believe the swim off and come back later bit either.............