My way with the method

W

Wolfman Woody

My hero.

Still not smiling much when you catch these big ones.

Nice piece though. Not had a lot of success with the method, but I might make a more concerted effort in future after reading this.

P

Phil M

Nice article Dave, I have had some success with carp up to 20lb on multiple dead maggot hookbaits, with deads added to the mix.
Especially over silty lake beds.

PTnymph

Reaction score
Nice article Dave, I have learnt one or two new things about what you are adding in your method mix.

S

Skive

Ahhh Master,

Your words inspire like the leaping salmon.

Grasshopper.

J

jason fisher

we can't see you when your upset it broke the camera.
nice one on the article and fish front though.

M

Malcolm Bason

Have you got shares in Dynamite Baits?

Nice to read different views on the 'the method' - still under-used methinks!

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Nice Rticle Frothey!!!

Does anyone know where the term: "The Method" originated?

I first saw this method (there I go again) used in Afrique du Sud about 1967. What they used to do then is mince up fermented boiled maize and mould it around a lead that had a spiral of wire around it. They would then embed the hookbait, normally a couple of grains of maize into the ball of bait and chuck it out.

Perhaps it was SA anglers who invented "The Method"

I've certainly caught lots of carp on it since the late 60s

F

Frothey

mind you, you have to agree with Jim Gibbinson, its A method, not THE method....

C

Cakey

No its "the method"

and I didnt like the article................

B

Bill Cox

Nice article frothey ,i agree with malc a very under used method (sorry)those that do use it tend to target smaller species or pasties but its definately a big fish tactic if its done right.

C

clicktochange

Very good article Frothery - I very much enjoyed it...it's good to see someone else having a go!

Rik's mantle is hanging on Graham's back door at this moment, F.
Can you follow this article up? We need someone who can stimulate as well as give advice.
~

Re hemp, I puree about a kilo [after boiling of course] leaving some whole grains. I then add ground hemp to stiffen it up a bit. It's then left to ferment quietly for a day or two...it's still quite wet - then I add some crumb to bind it when I'm on the bank. It'll cast as far as you like, and if you're on the fish they go crackers for it.

I make two varieties to take fishing. The other one has two strawberry jellies in it, made up using neat strawberry squash, strawberry milk-shake liquid, a drop of strawberry flavour and some red dye. It still needs crumb to dry it out, but it's very sticky. And it smells of strawberry. And I havent yet caught a single tench while using it, [tench to about 8lb present]though I have caught one bream... and about 50 carp, 6lb - 15lb. Nothing bigger as yet.

C

clicktochange

I forgot to say that I usually fish "the" method... I also dry some out to use in PVA just as you suggest. I'd not told anyone else about that...