What makes you tick

F

Frothey

Is it the size of fish...the technical aspects of rigs or bait. do you like a social with your friends. Are you even bothered if you blank?

P

Phil M

It's certainly not the size of the fish in my case,(PB 22LB.)
I have tried all aspects of angling, and the last twelve months I have taken to Carp.
I am bothered if I blank, as I always think its due to something I've done, or not done, or could have done, or.....
I don't socialize when I bivvy up, I like the solitude carp fishing can provide, in the colder months at least!

J

jason fisher

most of my carping has been done on rivers so no it's not the size of the fish it's the challenge of trying to catch a wild fish which will be spending most of it's time some where completely different to where i'm trying to catch it.
that and the fact that a 20 from a river like the trent fights like nothing else i have ever experienced, 50lb tope included.

T

The Monk

It used to be the unknown quantity, not actually knowing the size of the carp in the water and being one of a few people who were mad enough to actually fish for carp. I can remember fishing one lake which had rumours of a 16lb monster present, I thought it was bullshit until I caught it, never seen a carp that size in my life at that time, wish that still held true!

wow have times changed

at least they havent started naming eels yet?

J

jason fisher

oh and the unknown quantity of what you might catch from a river that size.

F

Frothey

they have monk..."f**king eel" "another f **cking eel" "getting right hacked off with this eel"

and "eddie"

F

Frothey

i asked cos i saw st johns a while ago, and it was litterally an angler every 10 yards or so. why bother? especially as there was very few pwoplw on the other lakes. were they seriously expecting to catch, or just down for a social?

J

jason fisher

there's never been that many people on saint johns when i've been there.
i know it does get very busy but i must drop lucky. then again i've never seen anyone catch anything from sain johns either.
i always get the you should have been here last week line.

M

MaNick

Carp angling for me...

I like spending a day out in the country...... theres something special about catching a fish that you have had to put a bit of effort into, like.....

1. Baiting Strategies
2. Tweeking rigs to get bites.
3. catching fish you have seen and are "going for"
4. realising when you are going wrong.

etc etc

then, of course, there is the Absolute Admiration for Carp as a species, they certainly are a beautiful fish!!!!
(whatever the size)

M

Malcolm Bason

I've been fishing on and off since I was around 8 to 10 years

I enjoy all aspects, but only carp fishing has been able to provide me this that extra 'something'! Difficult to put it into words really!

Yes, the size of the fish does matter: Its possibly the reason most of us carp-fish??? But having said that, there is a magic in catching the smaller one - but one never knows, that biggy could be the next to take the bait!!

No matter whether its started by a single beep, or a full-blown screamer - the adrenalin starts to pump - for me, there is no match!

The technical side does make a big difference too: from the type of line, through to the end rig - experimenting with same, tweeking established set-ups to give one that 'edge', that will produce when nothing else seems to.

On the baiting side of things, I don't think theres any other branch of the sport that can equal the amount of thought that goes into choosing/making bait for carp. Its a constant battle trying to outwit the carp and I suppose one's fellow anglers!!

I like the solitude that others have mentioned, but I thoroughly enjoy the social side too! Not that I wander far from my rods, but I'll often have a beer or three with a mate. We normally plonk the chairs an equal distance between our two set-ups, and then no-one is at a disadvantage, and either can be on the rods very quickly.

I believe blanking is all part of the learning curve! For me, there is no challenge to go to a water where there is a bite a chuck! I have fished a syndicate water for the last two years and had one carp! I feel these blanking sessions enable the angler to develop water craft. Whilst blanking, there oportunity is there for constant observation of the water, looking for swirls, flat spots, anything out of the ordinary that may signal a carp in the vicinity!

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Eeeeeeeerrrmmmmm what's all this "Eddie the eel" then ????

T

The Monk

you tell him Eddie, Frothey thrown a wobbler again, Mr Inquistitor?

T

The Monk

The all night drunken bivvy parties

the ruffe slappers hanging around the pitch

the quick visit to the dole office

giro day and the off licence visit

Spewing up in yer mates swim

Guesting

thats what its all about!

F

Frothey

i dont think that we're as good as a decent match angler with regards to baiting strategies malc, but who wants to catch 2oz roach on an overgrown garden cane all day?

M

Malcolm Bason

I'd never claim to be good at anything Frothey - "but who wants to catch 2oz roach on an overgrown garden cane all day?" - Nah, not for me either! ;o)

M

Malcolm Bason

I actually meant more in the way of bait development Frothey! Maybe I'm wrong, but I can only compare to my own fishing past - I used to be happy with a breadcrumb based groundbait mix and a pint of maggots!

I now put so much more thought into what bait I use and why, and what goes into it, etc...