The Carp Column

A

Andy Thatcher

Good article Rik ! Are you going to follow it up with any other particle pieces ?

M

Malcolm Bason

Very good Rik. When people first start to use particles either as a hook-bait or as an attractor to fish over - the first questionalways asked is "how do you prepare them?" You have covered everthing very well.

J

john conway

Like your article Rik, just one question. Having prepared the particles can you freeze them or are there some which don’t freeze very well? I notice you only talk about freezing Tiger Nuts.

M

Malcolm Bason

I'm sure Rik will answer for himself - personally i regularly freeze hemp and have done with red band too.

C

Carp Angler

All the particles are OK for freezing, although there are a few precautions.
Always make sure that you freeze them with enough fluid, otherwise they can become burnt.
They also don't seem to be too good with long term freezing, e.g. longer than 6 months.
This is to do with the ice crystal formation and can cause the particles to float, I've even tried to rehydrate them as they thaw, but to no avail.

As for another article, I will follow it up with an in-depth one detailing the preparation and application of one particle, probably maize, as I feel this is underused and is probably one of the best carp baits available.

A

Andy Thatcher

Good call. Love to use maize and am amazed that it isn't used more. Mind you groats, pearl barley, rice the list is endless come into the same category !

C

Carp Angler

Sorry, I should have thanked you all for your kind words.

Yes Andy, the list of underused particles is almost endless, but I've caught so many large carp from what people would call difficult venues, using maize, that I have absolute faith in it as a brilliant bait.

S

Stewart Bloor

All these kind words...tut tut..the man needs bringing back down to earth...Rik, why not tell us about the other particles, you know, the ones you devour whenever we have a snap in before a fish-in...mushrooms, baked beans, kidney beans, pasties....

M

Malcolm Bason

Hey Sedge - you ought to have seen him last Friday morning! He went off for a breakfast with Coops: 4 rashers bacon, 4 sausages, 3 eggs, tomatoes, baked beans, pile of mushrooms, bread & butter, fried bread, 3 mugs of coffee - rumour has it - he went back for more!!!! LOL ;o)

S

Stewart Bloor

Malc, he couldn't have been very hungry then that day....hahahhaha
Seriously, Rik, great artricle as per always.

D

Dave Dowding

Great stuff Rik, thoroughly enjoyed it. And i totally agree with you on the maize too.

C

chris quinn

Brilliant article!! I have only ever dabbled with particles, but after reading this i will be looking into it a lot more.