Fishing for [the] Forces

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Good. Anyone who puts his life on the line for his fellow countrymen is entitled to all the freebies he can get in my book.

And any of his bosses who send him to fight in places where he shouldn't be in the first place deserve to be in the front line with him!

preston96

Reaction score
What do you all think to the suggestion that we perhaps offer to take any troops on leave out fishing?

I know i would...and also supply the gear for them.........it can be difficult to sort a fishing trip out when overseas, this way they could post on here where they want to go and/or what they want to fish for and if we can sort it we could?

Matthew Nightingale (ACA)

Reaction score
What about if there was a list of Clubs who made special arrangements for members of the armed forces?

Sort of things on offer could be:

- training days;
- buddies i.e. somone to provide one to one coaching and guidance;
- temporary or priority membership - most servicemen on a posting can't wait years on a waiting list;
- reduced fees - also for commercials.
- discounts in shops etc.

George387

Reaction score
Being a retired member of the forces myself I can inform you that fishing in the forces is a big thing with coarse,game & sea teams competing at international levels, on the military circuits as well as the civilian circuits.
Nearly every major regiment has some sort of fishing club or access to water, There is already a lot of discounts in place from major angling suppliers for tackle, this article isnt a new thing but someone trying to reinvent the wheel which happens a lot in the forces, the lads & lassies all deserve the discounts and if any the soldiers who wish to go fishing contact their fishing rep...nearly every regiment has an appointed SNCO or Officer then they can be hooked up with fellow soldiers who fish in the regiment.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Speaking from experience as an ex Royal Navy man I can tell you that though some people might be keen anglers there is no room for serious fishing tackle in personal lockers and it would most probably get nicked if left on view. Our very serious fishing was done with a couple of NAAFI fishing lines on winders with a trace of six hooks, bait was a piece of silver paper out of a woodbine packet. :D

It would be nice if someone on the FM management side offered the services a days fishing with some of our members, as Paul has said I am certain there would be plenty of volunteers such as Paul. I will volunteer myself for a start providing said service man carries all the gear ;)

The RN used to have a match pool at HMS Dryad years ago, the venue of many open matches in which the RN did remarkably well considering their lack of time and opportunity to practice. but not sure if it still exists, Mark Wintle has fished matches there I do know.

Keith M

Reaction score
Being a retired member of the forces myself I can inform you that fishing in the forces is a big thing with coarse,game & sea teams competing at international levels, on the military circuits as well as the civilian circuits.
Nearly every major regiment has some sort of fishing club or access to water, There is already a lot of discounts in place from major angling suppliers for tackle, this article isnt a new thing but someone trying to reinvent the wheel which happens a lot in the forces, the lads & lassies all deserve the discounts and if any the soldiers who wish to go fishing contact their fishing rep...nearly every regiment has an appointed SNCO or Officer then they can be hooked up with fellow soldiers who fish in the regiment.

Speaking from experience as an ex Royal Navy man I can tell you that though some people might be keen anglers there is no room for serious fishing tackle in personal lockers and it would most probably get nicked if left on view. Our very serious fishing was done with a couple of NAAFI fishing lines on winders with a trace of six hooks, bait was a piece of silver paper out of a woodbine packet.

It would be nice if someone on the FM management side offered the services a days fishing with some of our members, as Paul has said I am certain there would be plenty of volunteers such as Paul. I will volunteer myself for a start providing said service man carries all the gear

The RN used to have a match pool at HMS Dryad years ago, the venue of many open matches in which the RN did remarkably well considering their lack of time and opportunity to practice. but not sure if it still exists, Mark Wintle has fished matches there I do know.

Being an Ex-Royal Navy fishing fanatic I used to belong to the 'Royal Navy & Royal Marines AC' in Portsmouth where they had several waters around the portsmouth area (both stillwaters and rivers), plus for the sea fishermen there was a forces national match held on Plymouth Sound breakwater each year where the ships team got a day to travel - a day to fish the match - then a day to travel back to your ship, and everything including digs, bait & entrance fee was payed for by the RN.

I should imagine the RN & RM AC still has these waters & matches?

Last edited:

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Keith M. Ah! but it is many a moon since I was in the Navy, '54 until '63, and things have probably got better, I can only imagine the reaction if someone had suggested an angling club in my day! you would probably have been put on the mentally unstable list :j

Keith M

Reaction score
Keith M. Ah! but it is many a moon since I was in the Navy, '54 until '63, and things have probably got better, I can only imagine the reaction if someone had suggested an angling club in my day! you would probably have been put on the mentally unstable list :j
Hi Graham,
Yes things appear to have got a lot better since the mid 50's & early 60's.
I served in the Fleet Air Arm from 66 until 77.

Never met uncle Albert or whatever his name was from 'fools n horses ' though :j

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score

Thats where I have seen you before Graham.

During the War, Graham (Uncle Albert ) Whatmore, I'm staying well clear of you at Blenhiem........................:):wh.

I would take a serviceman fishing for a day, why not.

Better still, an FM and Serviceman fish in...............

bigbass

Reaction score
Linear fisheries Oxford do half price tickets to members of the Army,Navy and Air force on production of their I.D. card.

frippe

Reaction score
I would much rather see a bit more effort and support put into fishing for the disabled or dis-advantaged. Please don't get me wrong our boys do a wonderful job which they chose to do. However by the sounds of it (what I have just read) the forces have fishing options and are by no means alone.

"fishing in the forces is a big thing with coarse,game & sea teams competing at international levels, on the military circuits as well as the civilian circuits."

If they are already at international level do they need more help or could that help be put towards people who can't help themselves people that didnt get a choice in life.

I'm all for helping anyone who wants to get into fishing so please don't think i'm anti forces.