Give this a try??

D

Dougie Genini

Talking to my boss the other day (a German)and got round to fishing and hunting and it seems that in Germany to go either fishing or hunting you have to have a license,naturally,but here's the rub!! You have to take some type of test b4 you are issued one.for the hunting one it involves knowing types of trees,grasses & berries etc, the animals and so on. With the fishing license you have to know all the different types of fish, water craft, signs of pollution,not leaving discarded tackle and litter behind, b.s. of lines, hook sizes and so on.Break any of the rules and you lose your license, no license no fishing.
What do you think?? Should we try and introduce something similar in England? Also on the Continent the Bailiffs have more power and respected more.Give this a try??

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
although there seems to be tests for every
thing these days i would welcome a angling competence test as part of your licence it
would have to prove a knowledge of a basic
understanding of fish care ect but i would
not like one to be over laden with useless info either and then you could be issued a
certificate with a serial number that you
give when you buy your licence.a official
test would help legitimise our right to go
fishing.and help give our sport a better
image as a credible environmentally aware sport.

steve

( http://www.angelfire.com/sd2/chavender )

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I think you will find that in Germany, you are not allowed to return the fish you catch.

Also the test is far more difficult than getting a drivers licence.

But in truth I think that in 10 years time, the same things may apply here. Graham knows a great deal more about the German Angling Test than myself. Perhaps he could tell us all about it.

One thing I do know is that match angling and keepnets are totally banned in Germany.

C

clicktochange

What about young uns starting off?

A catch-22 situation analogous to...

no job without experience,
no experience without a job.

The test should be predefined, so you know what's being tested, so you can bone up on the necessary knowledge. THEN it would be a good idea!

B

Bill Eborn

I'm not sure that people should have to take a test in order to get a license, it could be that a system like that could just get really bureaucratic and difficult to enforce. Maybe there could be some scope though in setting up an accredited voluntary Angling Proficiency Test. Something like that could have incentives attached, like discounts on rod licences or season or day tickets or some tackle shops. Presumably for proficient you can read serious and therefore that would be the type of angler that people would want to attract.

B

Big Rik

you don't need a competency test to have children, this should be law before a fishing test.

M

MaNick

GOD!... one minute people are moaning about being rules by europe, then suddenly they arn't too bad after all!...

NO NO NO!...

fishing is a hobby, the majority of anglers on here are REAL fish fanatics.. so we would probably all get a license without too much trouble.... but there are people out there who just wanna go fishing once in a while with their kids... lets let them get on with it?... and they too may develop into decent anglers!... too many rules already in my opinion!

T

The Monk

you don't need a competency test to have children, this should be law before a fishing test

one of the truest things, no license, no exam, yet the most important

N

Nigel Moors 2

'fishing is a hobby, the majority of anglers on here are REAL fish fanatics.. so we would probably all get a license without too much trouble.... but there are people out there who just wanna go fishing once in a while with their kids... lets let them get on with it?... and they too may develop into decent anglers!... too many rules already in my opinion!'

Nick - get what you're saying but most of us on here aren't the sort whose ingnorance lets the sport down, litter, discarded line and fish care among others. Some sort of proficiency test before enabling those "people out there who just wanna go fishing once in a while with their kids" can only do good.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Why should you have to have a test to follow your past-time ----no other hobbyist has to..

D

Dougie Genini

Hobby or not how do the kids learn the right things, if not told by dad or a relative, like shot patterns breaking strains of line,what floats to use where, and so on. You can read about these things as much as you like but as in all things in life there's practical and theory and the only way you get good at anything is with lots of practice (practical)
I think some sort of Proficency Test/Course
should be available for kids who want to learn about our Sport/Hobby.

M

MaNick

Dougie, FOR KIDS ADULTS who WANT to learn our hobby, yes, i totaly agree.

But the majority of people who get hooked on fishing do so from a single outing with a mate, relative etc etc... will they be able to do this?

Voluntary proficiency certificate, with incenitves, like cheap tackle insurance, reduced tackle, reduced cost of club books?... GREAT!... but a license!.. NO, we cant even get people to buy the rod license as it stands, how we gonna tell them to get a FISHING lisence too?..