Artificial Baits

P

Phil Hackett 2

Artificial maggot, caster and corn have you used them and what?s your opinion on them?

Fish catcher, or designed to catch the angler and not the fish?

B

Budgie Burgess

Used artificial corn,tigers,hemp and mixers all good.Going to try and get hold of some artificial casters to try next.

F

Fred Bonney

Had success with hemp,not given a fair test to casters and corn,a confidence thing.

G

Gary Knowles 2

Phil,

Fished a Cheshire Mere on Saturday night and had 4 bream of 7.08, 8.12. 9.02 and 10.01. three out of the 4 came on the Kryston 'Doppel-ganger' artifical halibut pellets. I have already taken bream to 11.04 on the artificial maize.

On the rivers I have also taken a shedful of barbel and chub on the same baits.

Last autumn when being battered with dace I had a good catch of chub (to 5.10) on artifical casters..

Definitely designed to catch the fish mate....

W

Wolfman Woody

How big was the shed, Gary?

Artificial corn - very good for adding a bit of bouyancy to a boile and the carp have a double helping in one mouthful, so they think.

P

Paul Christie 2

I've used the casters on the Severn, when real casters were being instantly battered by bleak & minnows and caught barbel.

I've tried the corn a number of times and never had any success with it.

I also caught using the artificial bread once. Carp wouldn't go near a controller float and bread alone didn't have the casting weight. Used the artificial bread to reach the area and without and controller and it worked.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Been catching on yellow foam long before the Enterprise stuff came out. Had been using it to pop-up or counter balance corn and one night i had taken 8 good bream which is (or was) quite exceptional for this water. I'd landed the 8th fish and the only thing left on the hair was a piece of foam, sod it, i cast the rig to the close in bar and 5 minutes later i had a 15.14 on the bank. Bait-piece of foam. Never looked back. Great Cray deterent too if you have problems with the little blighters.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Caught Tench to 5.5Ib on the caster, Carp on the corn to 18Ib. and loads on the dog biscuits. Just got some bread to try.

They work and i always carry them with me.

B

Budgie Burgess

Going to be trying just a small sliver of red float rubber on the hook for surface snatching in my next match.Like all artificial baits I reckon getting the fish feeding confidently and competitively on the real thing is the secret.Will let you know how I get on.

Bryan what make of arti caster do you use and do they float or sink?

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Budgie. i use Enterprise for artificial caster they do float but fishing for Tench with a size 12 or 10 specimen hook they sink slowly. Act like a critically ballanced bait.

B

Big Rik

I have all my artificials soaking in CSL liquid or another flavour (ahem) as they take flavour quite well.
Also don't want them wiffing of plastic....

W

Wolfman Woody

For artificial dog biscuit you'll find it hard to beat a piece of well scultured cork from a good bottle of wine.

And when that falls off you need anithor battle of wine.

An one thash fills oorf you want to drinsh anither bittle of wine.

P

Phil Hackett 2

Cheers for the replies!
The reason I asked was because I used them on one of the meres over the weekend and battered the roach, taking about 300 on the same one.

That said, the roach on this mere are crackpots, my mate last year caught on a bare hook, so I don't consider it a real test of the bait.