Digital video cameras

K

Kevan Farmer

First, anybody from the IAC list ignore this, I've already asked without reply.

Does anybody have any experience of the new Sony Digital 8 camcorders? The ones that store digital video on a Hi 8 tape or a memory stick. My dear wife has agreed to me buying one but I'm totally bewidered by the choice. I've alsways used analog Panasonic SVHS and VHS pro or semi pro video cameras.

R

Rob Brownfield

What do u need to know, we use digital video at my work when putting together Cd-Roms.

K

Kevan Farmer

Hi Rob. Well I'm used to analog stuff - I used it at the Uni before I left, in fact I was in charge of ordering new kit showing people how the gear worked etc and have actually made a couple of films for college. So you get the picture, so to speak. I know my way around proper white balancing etc. What I don't know is anything about digital kit. I've taken a fancy to the Sony DCR TRV 320 and the 620. For what I want - which is really nothing more than filming the odd fishing session, family holiday etc I am more inclined to save some pennies and go for the 320. This way I can put what I have saved into a spare long life battery. Any idea if the Sony cameras are any good? I have read some good write ups on the web and I can get a 320 for ?549. What do you reckon?

R

Rob Brownfield

Ahhhh..right. We actually use broadcast quality cameras....?10k +..sorry...hehe...I dont know a thing about home stuff....ooops

I do know my mate has bought a Sony...and i think its the 620...and he loves it.

K

Kevan Farmer

I got to use the broadcast stuff when I did a media course at college - well, you're never too old to learn something. I seem to remember that they were actually Sony jobs. Not new stuff, donated possibly by the BBC. They had quite a bit of Beeb donated kit including a complete sound studio. Old but very nice.

R

Rob Brownfield

Sony do seem to have the marked sown up regarding cameras

R

Rodney Wrestt

I have a Sony TRV120E which doesn't have the memmory stick but there is a feature for taking still
shots and storing them on the tape, each image is displayed for seven seconds. The ones with the
stick are a little more expensive. The catalogue stores are selling off the 120E at a reasonsble price.

K

Kevan Farmer

I have now ordered a TRV 330. The other model I was interested in has been discontinued. Anyway, I got this at ?140 cheaper than the high street. I just hope it performs as well it claims. Apparently it will take video in the dark......ok, time for some eeling. Or should that be Ealing as in comedy with my fishing :)

R

Rob Brownfield

Kevan, are u sure you are not taking that camera down your local "lovers lane"..lol

R

Rodney Wrestt

I would recomend that you wear dark glasses as the effect of the night shot reflecting on the eyes is rather stange and may distract viewers from the fish, then again if it's dark enough to use the night shot perhaps wearing glasses would have the same distracting effect ?happy filming.>:)

K

Kevan Farmer

Rob. Come to think of it, over 20 years ago we used to go down the local 'lover's lanes' in a big group...we called it trouting then....we only shook the cars but we had some fun. Could be interesting in the bedroom. Oops, wrong list ;-)