Century v's Free Spirit

G

Gary Franklin

Anyone have any comments on the comparitive differences (performance, power, action) between the Free Spirit Hi-S 3.5tc and the Century Fat Boy Slim, NG or FS 3.5

B

Big Rik

Haven't seen many Free Spirits on the bank and because of that I would imagine you'll struggle to get much of an opinion on them.

Always found Century blanks to be overstated for their TC.
e.g. their 3's are more like 2.5's.

G

Gary Franklin

The need for such high t/c comes as a result of the fight or lack of ablity to fight I had over the w/e. I hooked into a cat and then couldn't move it for 4 hours. It finally chewed thru my 45lb hook link. My terminal rig was up to the job but just did not have any confidence/power in the 2 3/4lb t/c rod I was using once it startd to creek. Everyone I have spoken to about the lack of power suggested 3.5 t/c

G

Gary Franklin

Frothy

I appreciate that this is not necessarily the right forum, however being a carp angler, catching cats is an inevitable by product whilst fishing for carp (at least where I fish it tends to be) I need to be tooled up just so what happened this w/e is not so easily repeated. Silly but I did used be a boy scout:)

Since the rods asked about are primarily carp rods this IS the right forum.

G

Gary Franklin

And before you say

"wot, using a 45lb hook link and you all yourself a carp angler?"

in total disbelief, I went heavy as I was fed up with the cats snapping my normal rigs and besides I did land my PB Mirror on the same rig/same rod 2 hours earlier!!!

Wooly

Reaction score
Used the high test curve NGs. Superb tools. Bought them specifically for casting PVA bags and method feeders long distances (which they do brilliantly).
First fish I caught amazed me - they are absolutely fantastic rods for playing fish. You can tell where the money went when you use them. Also landed cats to 58lb with no bother when in France.
Some advice when playing cats - you must be hard on them, give them line and they can get to the bottom where they will lie sideways on. Once in this position, especially if under the rod tip they can be almost impossible to move, with any rod. I've landed loads to high 30s on 2 1/4 and 2 3/4 test curve rods using this method. Not for the feint hearted, but don't let them get a head of steam up.

B

Big Rik

big cats flat rodding carpers is part of it Gary.
If you were specifically aiming for cats, then I'd suggest 4.5lb spod rods.

I tend to cat fish with my Game-On Springates, which you'd probably rate at about 3.25lb.
Fished with 18lb mono, I haven't managed to lock them up yet.
Ron Buss is your man if you want these.

G

Gary Franklin

Wooly

Thanks for that advice I agree with what you said about cats being all being part of the fun. Don't get me wrong I am thrilled with the opportunity to catch a cat, even if targeting carp and indeed I did catch my first cat during the same session, on the rod that is now out of favour - 38lb, so not a bad start.

I greatly appreciate the advice and think in retrospect that is where I went wrong. A bit of complacency what with the PB 12 hour?s prior. I did however try to hold it and was doing ok for the first 15 mins or so but it was surging that I started to get v. nervous about the line parting as had happened on a number of occasions that I let it run a little and then it stopped!!!! GAME OVER.

G

Gary Franklin

And before you say

"wot, using a 45lb hook link and you all yourself a carp angler?"

in total disbelief, I went heavy as I was fed up with the cats snapping my normal rigs and besides I did land my PB Mirror on the same rig/same rod 2 hours earlier!!!

F

Frothey

blimey gary, hang on a mo, you didnt say carping AND catting, and if you want a cross section of advise, ask those that actually cat fish(you'll find some of them catch carp as an unfortunate by-product of catting!). but then as riks said elsewhere, its the action as much as the tc....and if they are primarily carp rods, you should tool them up for the carp and accept that you may occasionally be undergunned on the cats..hard to actually snap a rod on a fish.....all part of the fun! ng's are known for their playing action

people been using quiksilver hooklinks for carp for ages.....

you can often find ron wandering the banks of linear...

F

Frothey

"And before you say ...."

s'ok gary, we got it the first time ;)

F

Frothey

looking at the predator section where theres a similar question, guys who have a lot of cat experience (as rik does) like budgie and gary use 2 to 2.75lb tc......

G

Gary Franklin

Cheers Frothy, I know what you mean about the action and fun of it etc. My concern is, I need to upgrade to a decent set of rods for this particular water and everyone I spoke to today has said either NG or Hi-S, but they are mainly dealers who have a product to sell!!,( apart from my brother who uses NG's and another friend who uses Hi-S's). Impartiality is what I need and seems to be what I am now getting, if only from two of you.

It would be good to hear from someone who went through the same purchasing plan and either tested or researched both before making a decision.

BTW don't know how I managed to repeat a posting

G

Gary Franklin

Thanks I'll take a wander over there now see what they have to say

G

Gary Franklin

Don't need any further input now. Just ordered 2 x Century FS 3.5lb 12ft rods. Will post a review once I get to use them in anger. Thanks to all who provided me with advise.