New Daiwa emcast reels

Sam

Reaction score
are the new daiwa emcast reels any good?. also, would i have to buy baitrunner conversions or are there any other alternatives(open bail arm. etc)
Thanks

J

john dillon

Yes. The reels are very smooth and cast very well. excellent value for ?60 each.
I haven't bothered with the free spool conversion, as it only takes 2-3 turns of the drag to enable a fish to take line.

If you are going to fish with an open bail arm it would be worth using a line clip on the rod as the line comes off the spools very quickly.

Free spool conversions are available from daiwa direct, although the tacklebox sells non daiwa conversions cheaper- check out www.tacklebox.co.uk - although i've had mine a while and haven't had a problem just using the drag.

B

Big Rik

baitrunner conversions are thought to put too much pressure on the spool spindle and can cause it to distort.
Don't know if this is true, as when I owned Daiwas, I just slackened the clutch a little.

pheelsteel

Reaction score
I Bought three Emcast 5000's a couple of weeks ago, to handle the heavy braid I use for catting as i'd been getting lots of wind knots while using my trusty Shimano 4500 front drag baitrunners. First impressions are smooth well built reels. Three cats to 33 so far on them with no problems. Been using the daiwa conversions on them, again no probs so far.

Phil