Float On

D

david bruce 1

Great article Kevin. I to enjoy the freedom of the rivers and often smile to myself when I pass an over-crowded muddy pool even if it has got bank to bank specimens (flabby no doubt). On the down side of all this; one of my clubs is realy struggling to survive because of the lack of interest in the fine river fishimg it has to offer.
Has it really gone this far - I was told of a pool in Cheshire stocked with catfish and sturgeon the other day and my nephew claimed he had landed an 8lb Sturgeon from it and told me of other friends who had witnessed it and could confirm it. Next they will stock with 'John West' and we'll all use magnets for bait then we can all take our catches home - at least it would make supermarket shopping a litle more fun (sorry my wife has a broken arm at the moment and I am doing the shopping - don't know who is in the most pain!) come on Tesco there's a new opportunity for you here

L

Laurie Harper

I reckon the next step has to be a sliding roof over some of these commercial fisheries. Football and athletics stadiums already have them... Can't wait.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

There are a lot of commercials with sturgeon in ....some have had them in for 8 years or more

Y

yoggy

If i was given a choice to fish only one method for the rest of my life it would be float fishing on the rivers,i"m 39 and have fished most methods for most species and enjoy all types of fishing i tried the commercials about 6yrs ago for the 1st time i personally haven"t anything against them but they just dont "sink my float"!!,,and aint fished em since.Give me a river anyday i personally again would sooner catch 10lb of roach from a river than 100lb of carp from a commercial,,so david here"s one angler who aint following the crowd!!!,,kind regards.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Some of these commercials have that many anglers on all using poles that from the air they must look like giant cartwheels

Colin Worthy

Reaction score
cant think of a better way to fish than stand in a river in wadders using a centerpin and stick float waching it trundle along and disapearing what a thrill

Lev

Reaction score
Could never get the hang of a centre pin so always used a closed face ABU 501. 10lb of roach, loved it when I caught 4lb of dace.

Tony Burgess

Reaction score
What a great article Kevin.I like to fish and learn as many methods as possible.Going fishing twice a week allows me to experiment.I have started pole fishing this year and allthough I have only been to one commercial I do like to use it and find it fun.But rod and line,now there is the love of my life( checks over shoulder to see were the old woman is )Stillwater,river or drain,that is the way I get my kicks.And I have just noticed that the club I joined has to designate a specific match for the use of these prehistoric tools to stop poles being taken to the bank!Once again a good and funny read.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Laurie Harper, above, wrote: "I reckon the next step has to be a sliding roof over some of these commercial fisheries. Football and athletics stadiums already have them... Can't wait."

Looks like you won't have to wait long Laurie. See this report on FISHINGmagic from back in March.
Space Age Fishery Plans Unveiled

K

Kevin Perkins

I spent a pleasant couple of hours spinning on a Thames backwater yesterday and I have to admit it seems I was wong to say that nobody floatfishes any more. The evidence was there in the trees and bushes! I couldn't quite reach the huge cork bodied 'lighthouse' dangling from one willow, but was more successful in retrieving a brand new 'Carp Controller'This was locked onto the (approx)6lb line with a pair of SSG shot and sported a size 20 hook set 12 inches deep.

With it being school holidays, it is easy to just assume it is kids, or is it? Perhaps the sad but true statement is that nobody floatfishes rivers 'properly' these days....

neil mason 2

Reaction score
Trotting the float is the only way to fish. Travel light leave your seat box at home.
All you need is a maggot bag around neck pair of waders and enough tackle to fit in youre pockets. I don even own a pole of a feeder rod.

J

jason fisher

neil like all methods float fishing has it's time and place.as does feeder and pole fishing limiting your self to the float only is exactly that limiting your self.
how would you tackle a stretch of water with a prevailing wind which is down stream and into your face, only fish it when the winds right, this means that most of the time you wouldn't get very good presentation.

neil mason 2

Reaction score
Fishing the upper reaches of the river swale, ure and the wear, the river nevers runs in a straight line long enough for the wind to effect your fishing if one swim is affected with winin your face, i walk across the field and have the wind at my back and fish another quailty swim. I fish with one rod and travel light as i might 2 or 3 miles to get to the stretch river i want to fish

Alf James

Reaction score
Three or four years ago my fishing club had a declining attendance at it's matches which were mostly held on rivers, canals and non-commercial lakes. We were getting no more than 25 anglers for most matches with nobody being younger than 40. The match secretary then decided to book some commercial fisheries in the match calendar and, hey presto, we now get over 40 anglers per match with a waiting list for anglers who can't be accomodated -unfortunately most local commercial venues can't accomodate matches for more than 40 or they want ?8-?10 for a peg fee. This years match calendar of 24 matches has 17 of them on commercial fisheries.

What's interesting is that there are suddenly quite a few younger anglers (18-35) now fishing these matches. They also join in the matches on the natural venues and most of them have admitted to having never fished a river or using a stick float and few of them know how to feed a swim for silver fish. This is where the older and more experienced anglers have been able to lend a hand and the younger anglers have realised that there is much more of a challenge to fishing than what's generally served up at the usual commercial venue. So much so that many of the new faces are now complaining that there are not enough river matches in the calendar. Oh well..!

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I think it's a shame that maggots cost what they do nowadays.

New anglers used to try and catch anthing that swims, using maggots, and often that led to busy fishing for small fish.

Nowadays the Pellet reigns supreme and bigger fish are more available than ever.

I catch most of my fish on Pellets now, odten on a couple of quids worth. Using Maggots (while trotting) is a special treat for when I'm feeling flush!

J

John McLaren

Neil Mason goes over the top when he says "Trotting the float is the only way to fish." Certainly for me it is the most pleasing way to fish but I also get a great thrill out of seeing a quivertip pull round or seeing a carp slurp down a chunk of crust (and I could go on!)

In the last 12 months or so I have done a lot of my float-fishing in considerable pain and despite a recent operation it is possible that, in future, I won't be able to stand in a river in my waders trotting a float for any length of time. I fervently hope that is not the case but if it is I may well have to accept a more sedentary style of fishing - on Neil's argument I may as well pack it all in and take up crocheting!

neil mason 2

Reaction score
John.
Dont condem for my style of fishing, my float rod also get used for free lining baits. Iam farmers son with over a mile of backing on the river swale of which we have limited day tickets. But when home all ever ever see is lads with carp barrows making way to the river and all you see is row of bivvys and rods on pods waiting for there buzzers to awaken the residents from their slumber. Once the anglers leave we then have to go round and remove plastic hemp jars and meat tins. The farmer in the area are now considering a fishing ban because of the mess. I hope back wading in the river soon, fishing is my life after forcing my self back to bank side after loosing 50% use of my right through a drunk driver

Colin Worthy

Reaction score
a few years ago i was in several clubs all with different types of waters from ponds lakes to rivers when we had matches on the lake it was draw 1-5 or forget it if i went to the river with a couple of friends we would have the whole river to ourselves nearly every weekend so it seems to me its horses for courses if one does not fit your needs then it helps to pliable iam just thank full i can go fishing

J

John McLaren

Neil, I wasn't condemning you for your style of fishing just pointing out that "trotting a float" isn't the only way to fish! Like you I fished for many years with just the one rod - float, free-line, ledger even spinning with the same kit. These days I'm privileged enough to have a selection of gear and I have enjoyed a variety of types of fishing - I just hope that continues. Like you I don't like the bad behaviour of a few yobs - but I think that is what they are and they would leave rubbish wherever they went - unfortunately they currently inhabit our river banks.

Colin Worthy

Reaction score
to john mclaren if we live in the same area i would only be all too willing to take you out if you become imboile and help you along to catch a few more fish