Scents, Odours & Stench

R

Ron Clay

There's an old saying that goes:

"Old fishermen never die, they simply smell that way."

I've always though that the modern wiz kid anglers depicted in the press and sometimes on this website do not really look the part. Take Jules with his aftershave, designer tee shirts and coiffeured hair, or some of the fly fishers with their expensive Musto jackets and waders.

How marvellous it would be to go back to the 60s when your old ex-army jacket was covered in bream slime, when you had a hatch of blue bottles in the car and no one minded, when a forgotten 3 month old box of smelts in the car was par for the course and when you sorted out the dead worms from the good one on the kitchen floor drew no comments from the wife whatsoever.

Take clothes for example. Ray Webb could make anything from some old sacking and binder string. In addition he made drogues, landing nets and keepnets from the stuff. Didn't half pong after a while though.

Have you a story of the rank and vile? Do you still anker for the days when men were men and anglers looked the part?

C

Carp Angler

4 pints of maggots spilt in the back of the car meant I had a cloud of bluebottles around my head for about a month.
The spare wheel well filled with squid juice (don't ask) produced enough rank smell to last most sane men a lifetime.

Then there's the time while I was making some boilies, I had mixed up about 30 eggs, added all my stinky flavours and some colouring, I turned around and proceeded to drop the whole bowl which splashed all around the kitchen, under units and the fridge, cooker etc.

She went absolutely balistic, the kitchen still had an underlying smell of Monster Crab when we left the house 4 years later.

R

Rob Brownfield

I too lost a squid in the boot of my fathers car when i was a kiddie!

Making fishmeal pop-ups in the microwave at work so as not to stink the house out did not go down to well.

The smell of a damp landing net is ponging my car out just now. Bloody Perch....I really should stop catching big ones!

Last summer i spilt a heap of squid flavour pellets in my boot...they worked there way into every inaccesable place they could find. Thankfully I no longer own that car, but every time the car sat in the sun, the most horrible smell drifted out from the boot.

The best one though was my dear dad. He is a first aid instructor and carries a life size dummy in the boot for CPR practice. One night he thought he had closed the boot, but unknown to him, the dummies hand was hanging out. He was woken up at 3 in the morning by armed police thinking he had murdered someone.

R

Ron Clay

There was a period when you could buy a artificial bloodied rubber hand to hang out of your boot. Also tranfers to stick to your windscreen that looked like bullet holes.

C

Carp Angler

and the fake animals to stick on the front grill......

R

Ron Clay

I used to have an old Barbour Jacket that got consigned to an outhouse. I was cleaning the outhouse out when I came upon the jacket. It had dropped on the floor and must have been laying there for 3 years.

When I lifted it up I found to my horror the biggest black widow spider (Latrodectus mactans) I have ever seen, amongst a large number of white round egg sacs. It was huge with a round black body at least 15 mm in diameter and legs covering a spread of 50 mm.

To think I nearly decided to wear the jacket.

There were also a number of Brown Recluse Spiders (Loxeceles sp.)in the sleeves.

I once got bitten by a brown recluse, also known as a violin spider. Not nice.

P

Philip Inzani

I relate to Robs using of the work appliances. I used to buy maggots at Lunch time and store them in the work fridge cunningly disguised in a plastic food container and inside a brown paper bag....that was until the day the office fridge thief decided to sample my "packed lunch"....the screams could be heard reverberating throughout the whole building.

B

Birds Nest

How marvellous it would be to go back to the 60s when your old ex-army jacket was covered in bream slime, when you had a hatch of blue bottles in the car and no one minded, when a forgotten 3 month old box of smelts in the car was par for the course and when you sorted out the dead worms from the good one on the kitchen floor drew no comments from the wife whatsoever. I dont think that was the 60's Ron, it seems even today we are all quite capable of dropping, or forgetting bait..... 2 pints of fluo pinkies on the kitchen floor was one of my favourite tricks when I lived at home...

P

Paul Williams

I've been sandwiched between Sedge and his Hutchies "secret" impregnated sweater and Big Rik during one of our pre fishing pub lunches.....i can't smell anything anymore!!!!!!!!!!

G

gary magee

I once dropped and smashed a bottle of nutrabaits mexican onion oil in my mums kitchen.It was`nt the oil that brought tears to my eyes it was my mum(boy! does that stuff stink).

D

David Will

I tried Secret Agent on maggots....once!!!
For the next three days at work I was ostracised.I claimed it was just the results of a curry but suspicions were aroused that I had a side business in the take away food business.
Another cracker is N Butric Acid.I highly recommend this one if you want to 'smell' the part.:)

P

Philip Inzani

Ah, yes, N Butric acid, how much do they sell it for ? 4 or 5 quid for a tiny bottle ? ....I can think of a far cheaper way of getting endless supplies of the stuff to add to your bolies.....anywhere, anytime! :)

D

David Will

I believe i know where you are coming from Philip, i am based this on the reaction of my wife when she smelt it.She said she was reminded of a dog she kept as a child.Not the dog itself but a bi product.

K

Kevan Farmer

Well I've heard of people spinning dog hair and amking pullovers etc from it but this has to be taking the p***.