River Shannon

Adrian Chubb

Reaction score
I am off to the Shannon mid September on a boating holiday from Carrick on Shannon to Portumna. Can anyone offer any advice on areas along the route that are worth concentrating on and tactics.

The Hood

Reaction score
Find a good depth on any stratch and bream will be there. Good balling in of groundbait laced with corn & casters, fish from the bank the next early morning.

Try Leitrim off of the islands, great deep holes and you can more up too.

Take a depth finder or fish finder and park the boat right on em and bait it up,,, baggin country.

Good luck, let me know how you do.

By the way, go to Loch Scur bait & tackle as its better than the shop in carrick.

PREDATOR

Reaction score
take a fish finder the fishing on the shannon nr portumner was dredfull 6 weeks ago save your bait and find the fish first then get them on the feed we took 80kg crumb 4 gall maggots and caught 3 small bream very poor at the moment unless you have some semtex etc

Joskin

Reaction score
Just got home from a week on Lough Derg yesterday. Had some fantastic bags of Bream, Hybrids and Roach but it was hard going during the day but early mornings, late evenings and right through the night were a fish a chuck Litteraly.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Joskin has hit it right on the nail. Daytime is a waste of time in Ireland now due to the zebra mussels filtering the water, resulting in clear rivers and the fish reluctant to feed except in the dark. With a boat you're made really, just anchor up and fish till after its dark. Bait it up and fish it very very early next morning.

You won't have 100lb in all probability but I bet you have some decent fishing.

Seriously affects the drinking time mind.