delkim/optonix

PREDATOR

Reaction score
i have just got hold of some alarms made i think in the 80,s
anyway i cant get them to stay on they will only work if i tap them and the led comes on and when i run a piece of paper over rollers they work fine there is no on/off switch as i cam see and if i let the led go out after say 10 seconds i have to give them a tap again to get them to work theres 2 knobs that turn one is tone and other is volume can anyone help please i will try and send a picture so you can see

P

Phil Hackett 2

Ian
It's a long time since I messed about with Delkim optonics and the memory fades, but I think the problem is the magnetic reed switch sticking. From memory it's on the underside of the board and for the life of me I can't remember how its triggered, as I don't remember Del putting in magnets on the wheel to trigger it.

What I can remember was that the reed switches he used were very small, and at the time, I couldn't find a source that supplied the same size. I did get around it by using the next size up and modifying the board a little somewhat. Again from memory I don't think they had an on/off switch fitted, as the system was not on until one of the paddles triggered it to come to life.
If your going to try and repair the unit you might want to have a look at the Maplins Electronics online catalogue for parts.

When the Bamford conversions failed the fault was normally traced to the variable pot, which acted both as an on/off switch and volume control.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist

They are the original delkim optonics which do not have an on/off switch only volume and tone controls.

Movement of the roller switches them. The led latches for ten seconds after the last indication and the unit themn switches itself off.

To avoid them beeeping in our bag during transit use a rubber band round the alarm to hold the roller wheel still.

They were very good reliable alarms. I had a pair from 83 to and only moved to other alarms when mine were stolen at the end of 94.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

There is a small magnet that operates the reed switch. Its on the end of the roller stalk inside a piece of silicone. I had 3 too, converted by Del from 3 original delereed optonics. Red yellow and green latching/pulsating L.E.Ds they had. And i had the big 'carp ears' on mine.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Same here Wol ......The original Dellareed ones -and you had to send them away to Del Romang to get converted..... In fact I still have them

PREDATOR

Reaction score
i will have too read these post a few times to get it to sink in but i think you have hit the nail on the head with the reed switch,s and they do have a magnet in the silcone end

do you think delkim would repair them

PREDATOR

Reaction score
or would it be posable for me to do it we have a maplins in warrington but what about magnets etc or is it more viable to just send them to delkim

P

Phil Hackett 2

Warren/others you're quite right, you have refreshed my memory now.
Regarding sending them to Delkim, I think it's unlikely he will touch them now, as he lost his legal case with optonic some years back and it cost him a substantial amount of money to settle with them.

I suspect it?s a chapter in his life he has no wish to revisit ever again.

C

Cakey

I still repair them..............e-mail me and I will e-mail you my address

PREDATOR

Reaction score
just to let everyone know what a great guy ((CAKEY)) is he sorted my alarms out i,am really greatfull but i cant get him to reply his emails so could anyone on here who knows him ask him how much money i owe him for the repaires because i would like to pay him for all his trouble parts labour etc / postage

regards ian roby

C

Cakey

Ian
dont worry ...by the time youve got hold of a couple of LFC tickets we will be quits.................only joking

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Give it a couple of weeks and they will start playing all sorts of tunes, he's into Bon Jovi so the next time you get a run it will probably belt out 'Living on a Prayer'!

F

Frothey

how about the (gardener) "spin doctors, belly full of krystonite"?

PREDATOR

Reaction score
ok but what was the problem with them please

i,am going to use them this weekend aswell so i will let you know if you have brought me luck