Bulk groundbait

tony harris 2

Reaction score
Has anyone got any ideas where I can buy bulk brown crumb & bulk fish meal from , as I have recentlystarted targetting big bream , whilst I am cathing them . its costing me a fortune in groundbait,I live in the west yorkshire area
Thanks

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Tony, the only help I can offer is that when I fished for bream useing brown crumb I used a lot of groats and a tin of liquidised sweetcorn, with just enough brown crumb to bind it together. Single French maize on the hook. You can catapult this mix a fair distance if you wanted to and it does'nt take a lot of crumb either.

B

Big Rik

brown crumb @ ?12 (20kgs)
Provimi 66 @ ?22 (25kgs)

from Percy Chapmans who deliver.

You can get LT Fishmeals (LT94 etc) which are better quality, but Provimi is bloody good in a groundbait/method mix.

B

Big Rik

or RT Feeds in York.

But they are proper farm suppliers, but they'll flog you a sack of Provimi (and countless other stuff as well)

Alf James

Reaction score
Tony, a very cheap and effective groundbait for bream is steamed falked maize at about ?6 for 25 kilos from a feed supplier. Just pour a kettle of hot or warm water over some flaked maize and let it stand for a few minutes before "mixing" it. It should bind together easily (if not add some more water) and can be thrown up to 20 meters or so. You can add some corn, pellets, molasses or fishmeal if you want. I use this in Ireland, Denmark and anywhere on home venues where it pays to ball it in to attract the bream.

B

Big Rik

a brilliant base for groundbaits is ewe nuts.

Pour copious amounts of boiling water over them and they turn into something like overly wetted flavoured breadcrumb.
This can then be stiffened with provimi or whatever....

N

Nigel Moors 2

Rik - you are a mine of info. Have you used groundbait like this (ie: fishmeal based) for barbel? Have tried halibut groundbait, crumb and layers mash on the Thames but so far not so good although the Thames is admittedly more hit and miss for barbel than some of those gorgoeus rivers in your neck of the woods.

B

Big Rik

yes, but not on my local waters, not enough barbel for that approach, although the bream have a bit of taste for it.

I don't tend to use crumb in groundbait on rivers, I find it doesn't bind the mix enough for my liking.
Got a bit of an experimental bait going in the river tomorrow.
I'll let you know if I catch on it.

J

jason fisher

nigel have a look round some of the threads for my groundbait recipe, it's caught double figure barbel from the thames and windrush.