Would you believe this...

R

Richard Huggett 1

I received this today from Brian Crawford....

" AMSTERDAM, Netherlands Eels are in trouble.

The slithery, snakelike fish is in drastic decline on both sides of the Atlantic and the European Union is considering emergency action to save it.

Dutch biologist Willem Dekker says the eel population dropped to just ten percent of its former number in the past half century, and now it's dropping to just one percent.

The blame goes variously to global warming, changes in ocean current and overharvesting.

Eels are big with sushi lovers. The Dutch, Germans and Scandinavians eat it smoked. And the French fancy it with spinach and white wine.

The price has tripled in the past three years to more than 300 dollars a pound. Dekker knew there was trouble when a poacher with a baseball bat mugged him for some baby eels he'd collected for research. "

Can you believe that last paragraph ??
What is happening to our world..

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Who has annoyed you in the last paragraph Richard? the poacher or Dekker?
Don't we need reserch or are they both as bad as each other?

M

MaNick

I would have thought the mugger annoyed him?...

The research must be needed?...

alan

Reaction score
cod, bass, carp, pike, zander, as soon as anything bad happens to them people cry, the eels are in serious straits, and no one cares.

R

Richard Huggett 1

It's the whole scenario that annoyed me...no one seems to worry about the plight of our waters and the life that they contain, but if a solitary ****ie bird dares to cough out of turn, then the green meanies are out in force blaming all and sundry for the species' demise.

What really pissed me off was the mugger...baseball bat job for a few elvers ? Mind you, looking at the price of them I can see why...but isn't it ridiculous ?
$300 a pound?? That's dearer than cocaine...

J

jason fisher

i care, i've said it before removing eeels from british waters should be banned now.

S

Steve King

Richard is making an important point. Back in the 70s certain rivers would be black with elvers. I went for a holiday in Langport in 72 and 99% of the time you got a bite on the river Parrett, it was from a bootlace eel! Nowadays I understand an eel of any size is a rarity.

Ok back in the 70s bootlaces eels were a nuisance, however obviously something has happened for them to be so rare nowadays.

Are eels now to follow the Dodo into extinction??

W

Wolfman Woody

$300 a pound? I threw back nearly $900 (= ?600) worth the other week. Stuff it, in future he goes to the highest bidder.

Only joking, honest Richard.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

The theory is :
Eels and elvers follow the gulf stream to/from the sargasso sea ...with global warming the gulf stream has moved slightly and the eels now follow the new route and miss our shores .....

N

Nigel Moors 2

Jeff - sell them to highest bidder then you can buy some of that cocaine he's on about!

W

Wolfman Woody

Wouldn't know what to do with it Nigel. Just want the money to spend on tackle.

N

Nigel Moors 2

I thought you'd say that but the link to it would match the hat in the 'forgotten baits' article!!

:eek:)