bread

alan

Reaction score
how do you get bread to stay on the hook? after watching some mullett feeding on bread the other day we tried fishing for them(my mate caught a 4lber) we missed lots of bites because the bread fell off the hook.

and to use bread for ground bait is it a simple matter of mashing it up with water in a bucket?

Andy Connor 2

Reaction score
yeah mash it with a spud masher or if you can be bothered in a food processor the night before this gives a nice bready trickle with not much to actually eat

i find to keep bread on the hook the cheaper the sliced white the better - nice and gooey then take a small pinch and pinch it round the shank

a four pound mullet your making me jeleous
they are very quick shy biters though you normally expect to miss a few

you should try maggots if your missing a lot

alan

Reaction score
i missed a nice one, first time ive ever tried fishing like that and i had a nice fish go for the bait and i moved it.dohhh!!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
If you want to fish flake you really must have fresh bread, once it starts to dry out you've had it, it falls off every time. It must be kept fresh even on the bank whilst you're fishing as well. Just pinch it round the shank and leave it, don't try to mould it. If its still on the hook when you retrieve, you've done it wrong

alan

Reaction score
"they are very quick shy biters though you normally expect to miss a few"

forgot to mention it was caught on size 2 hook with 20lb hooklength, and there was nothing shy about the bite, 12ft beach caster bent double.

cheers all, i will be trying for them again.

Andy Connor 2

Reaction score
we are talking about mullet arent we

there shy and quick when ever ive fished for them except on spinners?????????????????????

alan

Reaction score
Yep, can send you a photo if you like.

couldnt belive it myself, but he went back sunday night and had another 3lber on the same tactics.