carp rig for 8-10lb mainline

Colin Smith 3

Reaction score
I am about to tackle one of my clubs waters which contains carp to mid-double figures, so I reckon 8-10lb mainline will be sufficient. What bs braid/hair-rig is compatible with this mainline.
As a beginner to this style of fishing (I normally "float") what is the simplest way to set up a safe rig, since this water is quite snaggy?
Any suggestions welcome!!!!

B

Big Rik

if the water is quite snaggy, then do you think that 8 to 10lb mainline is adequate?

What do you mean by snaggy?
Weed, tree roots, rocks, gravel?

Rigs such as this or this are more than adequate.
Couple these with a hooklink of equal or less BS than you mainline using something like this and if it's weedy, then present it something like this and it'll look a cert.

And maybe, you'll be cradling something like this

Colin Smith 3

Reaction score
Rik, thnaks for all the tips. With regards to the snags, it if mainly weed, being an old cistern for a chemical works tthat our club has "restored". To be honest the heaviest line I have used so far is 8lb when float fishing for carp at a commercial I used to go to, whereas my pb (a 12 1/2lb mirror) was caught on 3lb line at the same place. Needless to say had nothing like it since!!!

Colin Smith 3

Reaction score
OK, so I went out for a short session tonight. And short it was too! I had tackled up with 10lb line, through a semi-fixed bolt rig (fox clip) to a braided hair-rig of unknown strength with a size six hook(it was something I had picked up in a mixed bag of goodies), using luncheon meat over hemp and corn. Got a strike on my second cast after 40 minutes at the swim and promptly landed a 9 1/2 lb common! The only problem was my landing net fell apart and is now waiting for the binmen tomorrow.
So tonight was full of firsts:
christened my new carp rod
first use of a hair-rig
first use of a bolt rig
first carp in 6 years...
and another trip to the tackle shop needed before I can go out again
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Colin Smith 3

Reaction score
definitely. The wife is going to love this shopping list:
bite alarsm
pod
bivvie
bed...
divorce papers ;)

B

Big Rik

do it like I did, get divorced first, it's amazing how much spare money you've got once you're divorced and then you can buy as much gear as you like.

Alternatively, ask on here or search the forum for advice about the most appropraite gear for you.

Most of 'em are pretty helpful and like to brag about their new alarms or latest pod.

Colin Smith 3

Reaction score
Yeah well it was my first wife who encouraged me to go fishing with a mate in the first place... 4 months l8r she had left!
Now the second wife is encouraging me to go out...??!! lol