Lurkers?

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
Call me an old cynic if you like but I'm beginning to have doubts about the veracity of the Forum Front Page. I clicked on a few minutes ago to see what was happening and according to the viewing figures 93 were looking at 'General', 57 were looking at 'Coarse' and a further 23 were looking at 'Barbel' yet there hadn't been a single post added to the forum since yesterday.

Are we saying that at this snapshot in time, not the entire period since yesterday which would have added up to a lot more viewers, that not one of those current 171 viewers had bothered to make a single post?

In total there were supposed to be 319 visitors reading the forums...

Is someone telling porkies?

And if so why?

Surely there cannot possibly be that many lurkers at 10 o' clock in the morning?

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Yes there can, and yes there is.

If no one has posted since yesterday, why ask Bob, it's clear no one has.

Many log on at work, and can't post as the firms don't let them.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
For yesterday -
there were 2589 visits of which -
2159 were unique
viewing 9505 pages and
spending and average of 3:33 minutes on the site

That's actually pretty good, but a lorra, lorra lurkers.

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
There's even more of them watching now...

And nowt's happening!

Weird.

It's like a scene from the Hills Have Eyes.

Reaction score
So, out of the 30 people that read your stuff (not including your auntie Mave and Swordsy) on your website Bob, how many write a comment?

or similarly, out of the millions that read a newspaper, how many write a letter?

At least there are people lurking. If there were none then who would read all the adverts?

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Bob
My take on it

People come on FM, read the posts and most either have no comment to make (some regular FMer probably do this on some threads) or think that they have nothing to add to what has been said so far.

Some who very rarely post may think that if they say something it may be view as being incorrect and they will get laughed at. Maybe some are intimidated by the already established members of FM who regularly pull each other down(in a humorous way)

Then there is the "hard core" FM names who post on most threads (nothing wrong with this) and even if they can't add to what's been said, have no new input, will post something stupid, and/or childish if it adds a bit of fun(again nothing wrong with this, it's 95% of my posts)

So that's why there are more lurking than posting - anyway good to see you posting again Bob and don't forget to mention me and my might 4lb chub (well just over 3lb) from the Rother next time you're on Tight Lines but don't tell them it was from a stretch close to Rother Valley country Park - I don't want to find the big name specimen hunter camping out in every swim next time I go to fish there.

thx1138

Reaction score
Many folk use internet forums as a source of information.. to get up to date on news, views, catch reports, methods etc.

It is quite possible to do this without ever having to engage with the 'residents'.

I personally log into several different forums once or twice a week for different reasons. Although I have member accounts, I have never posted on most of them. I just dont want to get involved with all the 'banter' and personal quarrels that are a regular feature in all of them.

*scurries back into the shadows*

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
Decided to leave a comment just in case you thought I was lurking...

Reaction score
I frequently lurk on Bob's blog...but he spotted me last time. And I bet Swordsy is upset...a glowing reference from Bob but no mention of the slim line adonis who graced Press Manor in May.....!!! The poor thing struggled to nibble a lettuce leaf!!!

noknot

Reaction score
You will always get more lurkers than posters, it's the nature of the beast!

I post what I feel, and don't give a toss about "regulars" This is a forum site! I do not respect "post counts" but I do respect content!

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
It is quite possible to do this without ever having to engage with the 'residents'.
I like that term 'residents' and yet at the same time, I don't like it. I'd rather many other people posted what they wanted without fear of back-bites.
I post what I feel, and don't give a toss about "regulars" This is a forum site! I do not respect "post counts" but I do respect content!
Now that is a good attitude to have!