Tulip meat

Hutch

Reaction score
Until recently Morrisons sold Tulip Luncheon meat, it appears they no longer stock it. Does anyone know who stocks it? it was cheap, solid, took flavours well and stayed on, i just can't get on with other brands and i object to paying Van de eyndes prices for spicy meat.

L

Laurie Harper

I've noticed it's disappeared, too. Some tackle shops used to sell it, but I haven't seen it lately. My other favourite, Celebrity (especially their chopped ham and pork), has also vanished from the shelves. Perhaps these brands didn't meet the food regs. in some way. I find Plumrose a reasonably good substitute. It takes flavours OK if you add the, freeze it and thaw it in a sealed bag. Give it a go. If anyone else knows if Celebrity is still available, let us know, please. Thanks.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

This is serious. I have caught my best barbel on Tulip. The next best I have found is Plumrose Bacon Grill.

I have only 10 cans of Tulip left.

This is serious chaps.

jp

Reaction score
It disappeared from Sainsburys a couple of years ago, I moaned about it on here at the time.

Keep away from Princes, it's too soft.

R

Rod MacAskill

I remember a similiar experience with Plumrose garlic sausage.It suddenly disappeared from the supermarket shelves and after numerous phone calls to various outlets and suppliers I managed to track it down and purhase it direct from the Danish bacon company factory. I never did find out why the supermarkets no longer stocked it although for some reason it doesn't seem as addictive to fish now as it used to be.

Hutch

Reaction score
10 cans left Ron? Stick em on ebay you'll make a mint!!!

W

Wolfman Woody

This is not just "Serious", this is a nashnull crisis!!!

I used to drive 198 miles to Dukinfield just to replenish my stock of Tulip from Morrisons. Boy was I glad when they bought out Safeway, we have one in town and I thought I would be able to get it there in future.

I only have 20 large tins and 6 small tins left - any offers?

Seriously - we should complain to Morrisons / Safeway, get to to stock it again. Tell them we'll give them a mention on Fishingmagic.com!!!

P

Paul Christie 3

Was Morrisons the only big supermarket that have stocked it?

I have seen it around in the past (don't know where), but I've always bought Plumrose Bacon Grill - again quite difficult to find. Asda and Tesco are a waste of time for luncheon meat.

I'll have to have a look where I have seen it (not Morrison's because I have never been to one).

Possibly Kwik Save or one of the smaller chains...

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Plumrose bacon grill. I've just taken the last 20 tins of if from my local little shop.

?50 a tin to you lot. Don't all shout at once.

D

david bruce 1

I used to get my Tulip from the Co op but now my local store only has their own brand.

I have bought some but not tried it yet. has anyone given it a go?

Alf James

Reaction score
I hadn't seen Tulip in the supermarkets for years and, hey presto, this week I walked into Home Farms supermarket in Chelmsford (this is a frozen food store and is the equivalent of a Lidl store for frozen foods)and they had large tins at 59p each or ?1 for two tins. I bought 24 tins and got some very funny looks from the checkout girl.

I'll be back next week to buy another 24 tins!

Alf James

Reaction score
Has anyone tried Chira Bacon Grill from Lidl - 65p a tin. I've been using this all summer and have found it as good as the Plumrose variety.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

The great Tulip race is on!!

Tulip, 9 ot of 10 barbel said they prefer it.

Morrisons share price tumbles as anglers desert in droves in protest.

I'd be interested to know just what proportion of luncheon meat is bought by anglers? Does anyone eat it anymore?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"Does anyone eat it anymore?"

Anyone in my age group who had to suffer SPAM as a staple food in the 50's will tell you that as soon as alternatives were readily available that they never again allowed the stuff into their mouths.

I wonder, out of interest, if Tulip is sold in Europe?

Hhhhmmmn - possible nice little earner on the horizon ???????

jp

Reaction score
"Does anyone eat it anymore?"

Only if it's a good brand and the chocolate muffins are all gone and I'm still hungry. :eek:)

I have been known to roll it in mud just so I can't eat any more. :eek:(

A good substitute are those Mattesons horseshoe shaped sausages in the foil packs, good consistency and some different smells; smoked or garlic.

Polony sausage is OK too, very buoyant and a livery smell.

Of course if you are a bit more organised than me you can get all sorts of meats from the deli counter in your local supermarket, just ask them to cut you off a chunk rather than slice it.

If there is something you fancy using and it's already sliced, cut it into strips and roll them up before you hook them.

W

Wolfman Woody

"A good substitute are those Mattesons horseshoe shaped sausages in the foil packs"

Are those the ones that have Homer Simpson on John? Very nice they are and if you scoop out bits with a melon-baller you end up with boilie sized bits of sausage. It works!!!

Perhaps if we find a site for Morrisons and all send them an Email asking to bring back Tulip, they will? Customer power, do you think?

A friend of mine love Spam Fritters, he was brought up on them. Me, I loved corned beef.

Tom Dobbs

Reaction score
Sainsbury's own brand chopped ham with pork says it is produced by tulip on the back of the tin. However if you read the ingredients it is exactly the same as the newgate chopped ham with pork available in lidl, also produced in denmark, which is slightly cheaper. They have a higher meat content than plumrose chopped ham with pork.

mick rees

Reaction score
I use to use it and i got mine from asdas but they took it off the shelves due to a report that there was something wrong in the processing of it and now i cant find it anywhere and i agree it was brilliant