Line

Richard Plume

Reaction score
Ive been off the scene for a while but will be returning shortly, I need to refill my reels, Ideally with around
12-14lb line.

Are there any new wonder lines I should consider?
Or should I stick with what I know? (reels currently have infinity duo on but have used suffix synergy to good effect to)

F

Frothey

no such thing as a "wonder" line!

i'd rate synergy above duo, though some would dissagree. you should buy line by diameter, not breaking strain. reason is that something like drennan double strength may be half as thin, but then its half as abrasion resistant! ok (maybe) for open water with no bars/snags/weed, but not really for "real" fishing.
if you can get hold of a copy of the tackle box cat, then they've got a fairly comprehensive bs to diameter to abrasion resistance chart in the back. you normally find the "highly abrasion resistant" lines are much thicker than others.

synergy, pro-gold, big game would be my first choices in normal lines.
playing with krystonite (flouro coated) at the mo, and it seems fairly good, had two "unexplained" breakages when casting around a spot though. line may have been nicked, but it was tested on coral. does sink really well though, and isnt very visible in the water.

hope that helps?

R

roto fryer 1

i too would rate synergy well above duo, however, i have changed from synergy after 5 years in favour of shimano technium which is just as strong and has less stretch.
just make sure you use th e right knots with it

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Daiwa Sensor. Not many of the Carp lads use it, as it's too cheap. You won't have any unexpected breakages with it, enough said.

W

Wolfman Woody

I heard a lot of you slagging off Duo recently - so typical of me, I bought some
8 lb to test for myself.

I like the look of it, but Rik says he's heard of it splitting, the black from the green. Can't understand that if it's extruded from the same gunk. We'll see.

R

roto fryer 1

i tried 20lb duo a few years back and could break it easily with my hands so out it went. u have to have confidence i what you use and i had none in duo. one thing to remember with duo is that it is rated ie if it says 8lb it will break at 8lb

F

Frothey

i have used densor on the spod rod, seemed to twist more than the others....
the advantage of sensor is that its cheap, so you can replace it frequently (like big game) ideal for gravelly/weedy lakes, but then i'd like a bit more reassurance from the line.

john d

Reaction score
i'm currently using the new krystonite on a clear gravel pit, it sinks nicely casts really well & dosen't stand out too much under water. I've had the same thing as frothey though, it's broken a couple of times for no apparent reason.
The table in the tackle box catalogue is well worth a look as it gives genuine diameter & breaking strain.

Richard Plume

Reaction score
Thanks chaps. I Knew I'd seen a line comparison test somewhere before but couldnt remember where, I found one online but it only has the older lines on it. I'll get me a copy of that catalogue and have a read up!

W

Wolfman Woody

Roto -"one thing to remember with duo is that it is rated ie if it says 8lb it will break at 8lb"

Whilst I bow to your infinite knowledge on carp fishing, isn't that the idea of having a "Breaking Strain" specified on the spool?

I know that 12lb Big Game breaks consistantly at 20lbs plus, but what's the point? If you want a 12lb BS line that's what you will buy. If you want 20lbs BS line, buy something else.

If it does what it says on the spool - don't complain. They're only being honest and reasonably accurate.

W

Wolfman Woody

Just did a test on this Duo. Simple and by no means scientific.

Put soem dowel in a vice and tied the line to it using a grinner and then lapped it around the dowel for a further six turns. Then tied the other end to Weightmaster scales using a grinner (not the best method of testing). It broke at slightly under 9lbs on three occasions and not always at the knot.

Even allowing that the scales are 10% out that's still just about the stated breaking strain. Isn't that how it should be?

M

Mark Hodson

Have used Synergy since it first appeared on the market and can't fault it, bit springy at first but after a couple of outings it performs well. Have used all of the Berkley lines at some stage as well for various angling applications and can't fault them either.

F

Frothey

thats why i said buy by diameter, not bs. problem is jeff is if you are used to using big game in 12, then go to duo in 12, you'll be in for a shock. not to say the duo's wrong to state the correct bs though...

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Not had any trouble with Krystonite myself, but what I'll do is get half a dozen spools and offer them in a competition. Then that'll be six winners who can use it and let us know what they think of it.

Richard Plume

Reaction score
Sounds like a plan Graham.

Now I dont agree with rigging the competition but please may I be a winner?..lol

Another question, if I do use Synergy again am I best to go for the 12lb or 15lb breaking strain. Should I do for the smaller diameter as we are heading towards winter?

W

Wolfman Woody

"Oooh that's a big one you've got there, Graham." that's my entry if it's a caption competition. It's bound to win.

Dave, you're perhaps right. The diameter won't vary too much despite what strength they claim the line to be. I take Roto's point about buying some 20lb and being able to snap it with his hands. It must have been a bad batch which is what I had with some Insight line some years ago.

I heard some Aussie on Rex Hunt's programme the other day saying "Your line will break just after you patience does." (or similar) and that is true. So long as you start off with around the right diameter/strength you won't go far wrong.

M

MaNick

I'm trying out krystonite at the moment, no problems so far, but i dont fish snaggy, weedy waters, so it's treated with kid gloves compared to some of the hardcore boys!

W

Wolfman Woody

**** UPDATE ****

I put the Infinity Duo 8lb line to the test last night, eventally.

Caught a nice 10+lbs barbel from a fast water swim and the line help up nicely. That's all you can ask of a line.