roach

B

big boy

I know it is fairly easy to catch roach, but anyone know good rigs to catch big redfins.please

J

jason fisher

ave a look at the summer roach thread in coarse fishing.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

It is of course easy to catch small roach, say up to 12 oz or so. But above that, big roach, can be every difficult indeed.

Big roach are nomadic in either still water or river. They generally feed late in the evening or at night by picking thengs up off the bottom.

Never think big roach are easy. The main problem is that there is often a small roach that takes your bait first.

B

big boy

oh i know it is easy to catch small roach i've caught hundreds of them. i just want to catch a roach to at least 2lbs.

J

jason fisher

din't have a bad day today 9 roach the smalles 9 inches the largest 11 1/2 inches. i'm quite chuufed.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Then Big Boy you must find a water with fish of this size in.

I don't know where you live but quite frankly the biggest stillwater roach are found in gravel pits - big ones and reservoirs. I have a reservoir not far from where I live that contains huge roac - 3 pounders, but it's a trout water and you are not allowed to fish for them,

Rivers and canals contain more big roach than you would ever believe. I have caught big roach (fish over 11/2 lbs) from many rivers in England. If you fish a canal for big roach forget maggots or even casters. Use bread or even worms when the water is coloured, fish close in or close to the other bank and fish on the bottom. This is where the pole really comes into its own.

The biggest river roach are found in chalk streams such as the Hants Avon, Dorset Stour, Test or Itchen, but recently plenty of big roach have come out of the Severn and even the Trent.

B

big boy

i cant really go to rivers in liverpool. there is a canal a mile or so away the only still waters around me are newsham park and carr mill dam.

D

Deecy

On the canal years ago we caught the biggest Roach up to 1lb 10oz by fishing cheesepaste over a couple of handfulls of hemp.Not many bites but this produced the bigger fish.