For a few yards more.....

F

Frothey

its been many, many years since i've needed to fish more than 100yds or so, but have found (i think) a spot at about 140 or so where there is a lot of activity. apart from baitboat (cant) whats your tips for squeezing out the few extra yards? i normally use the unitech to push the cast a bit but it doesnt feel as if i'm really getting compression (i cant be), what do you do?

anyone know a casting tutor in devon that doesnt wave about silly bits of fluff?

J

jason fisher

frothey go down the beach one evenin you're bound to see some one you can discuss your casting with.
do you have space to do a half pendulum.
there's a thread one here about the pendulum some where in technique.

J

jason fisher

can you get away with 10lb mainline to shockleader.
lastly use a snood clip they don't just work in the sea you know.

F

Frothey

using 20lb braid (like 6lb mono). cant really pendulum as its a bit tight (which is why i use the unitech - keeps things "within the rod").
i used to (back when i did a lot) tie the hooklink back with pva....always worried about the presentation, but the fish didnt seem to mind!
i think its an arm speed thing after the initial compression....

J

jason fisher

can you get your hands on a video camera, silly question for some one who sells em i know but set one up on a tripod and film yourself if you can, you may be loosing the compression by having a jerky bit somewhere in the cast.

J

jason fisher

the other thing is get a bit of protection for your line holding finger if you are using braid that thin you don't want to lose a finger end.

F

Frothey

shockleader ;)

the problem with the camera is knowing what your looking for?

ho humm, lessons it is.....

alan

Reaction score
could you use a heavier weight?

you could also try one of those thumb buttons,my son uses one on his rod, and it makes a load of differance being able to let go when you want to, and not when you finger is being pulled off.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
2 tips i was given to improve my casting was to imagine you are throwing a javaline (the pull section) and then hit a wall with a sledge hammer(punch pull section).

F

Frothey

sometimes you'll find a heavier weight can be a hindrance - causes the rod to lock too early...
i must be releasing at about the right time (steady!) as the lead goes at roughly 45deg
i did know that bryan, but thinking about it, i knackered my right shoulder surfing a year or so ago....maybe thats part of the problem?

J

jason fisher

frothey you would have to play it back frame by frame but you are looking for a steady build within the blank, if the tip is compressing then losing its compression, the line to the lead will become slacker mid cast this shows it's not smooth, the other thing is to look if your arms are coming through in the same way as they would when you swing a sledge hammer over your shoulder to hit the ground in front of you.
the shoulder won't help but by far the greatest problem is loss of muscle memory.

when i got my whip lash injury i lost a long way off my longest casts because i can't get my arms through smothly.

P

Phil & Jo Hyde

If you would like to come to one of the two improve your beach/surf/carp casting events we are running as part of National fishing week, I am sure I will be able to sort you out...also, as the originator of the Hi - Inertia methods, I can also show how it was originally formulated. Go to www.nationalfishingweek.co.uk and search under the TQ3 postcode. And please forget sledgehammer, I will have handouts available which explain EXACTLY what happens, and more importantly, WHY.
Phil Hyde, JAGB/PAA coach/instructor.

P

Phil & Jo Hyde

I also wave silly bits of fluff around,and have had trout to 22lb on well - arranged fluff, also Bass, Pollack, Mackerel, Gars, and some foreigners as well from saltwater, and teach fluff - lashing as well!!
Philthefish.

J

jason fisher

and i still say the action required is very similar to the sledgehammer.

P

Phil & Jo Hyde

I have a friend who lives in Kidlington, he's down for the week next week, if you want a copy i'll give him a copy if that is near enough for you to collect. I've just done a quatra conversion on his pike rod for him, so he owes me a favour.
philthefish.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

First tip I can give if you really want to cast distances is to chuck those silly fixed spool reels away and use multipliers.

You can never put maximum force into a lead weight with a fixed spool reel, holding the line in your finger.

When I was in my 30s I used to do a bit of surf casting. It wasn't until I perfected my technique with a multiplier that I was able to get 150 metres. Couldn't do it now of course. Too old and doddery.

B

Budgie Burgess

As discussed all ready,using the thinnest diameter main line coupled to a leader and ensuring your rig (the bait being secured imediately behind the lead whilst in flight) is stream lined are the normal reccomendations.Dont use a helicopter rig as this will knock yards of your cast.

As for actual casting styles bear in mind that the main thing that increases the distance is to increase the power/energy transfered to the lead via the rod.The most basic way of achieving this is to increase the arc that the rod travels through during the cast.All of the most efective techniques used by tournement casters do this.Smooth power feed achieved by atention to style is far more important than "arm speed" or "strength" watch any top caster and it looks effortless.
The "carp cast" of a direct over head thump,although quite accurate, is the poorest way to achieve this.

Frothey,you seem to know most of the basics try to get some lessons (try looking in Sea Angler magazine or ask at your local shop)and develop a good "south african"/off the ground style.

Putting a carp bait over 150m is easy enough with todays modern tackle and methods the problem I have always found is baiting at this range.

P

Phil & Jo Hyde

Thanks Ron, I'v been trying to persuade carpies for nearly 20 years to try a well - set - up multiplier, and have for the past couple of years demonstrated and coached anglers at the NEC "Go Fishing" show, showing the benefits and ease of use of small multipliers, showing casting in excess of 200 yards using the new 'carpendulum' multitaper rod. Yes I can cast further, but this demo was with reels with level wind fitted to prove a point.
Philthefish

B

Budgie Burgess

The subject of "lock up" although much debated amongst tournement casters is one I personally subscribe to.What rod are you using Frothy? I ask as if it is a rod designed for the distances you are after you may well not be locking it up without using a more powerfull style.And conversely if you are then the rod might be lacking.

No one has mentioned reels but as Im sure you allready know spool size and correct line lay/profiling also are important.Modern "big pit" style reels really take care of the last two points though unlike the reels of yester year!