WHO'S THE BEST??

B

big boy

WHO IS THE BEST

MATT HAYES, MICK BROWN, BOB NUDD, OR JOHN WILSON.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

None of them.

I have watched all of them fish various methods and none of them can cast well with a fly rod.

If you are talking about the most competant all round angler in Britain you are going to have a hell of a job finding him today.

If I were to name the most able British all round angler of the past 100 years I would say: Cyril Inwood.

I put Cyril as my number one because **** Walker also thought he was one of the greatest ever.

Cyril never wrote a book, nor any articles, yet he could catch fish, one any water using any method when all the rest of the experts blanked.

J

jason fisher

**** walker.

then john wilson.

but best of all mick brown because he's the only one of the ones you mention that posts on here, an i've met him an he's a nice bloke ;)

R

Ron Troversial Clay

When you pick a great angler you have to be careful. Three of the people listed are basically professional anglers and are able to fish waters at times when the average working bloke cannot.

Cyril Inwood, other than selling some of his trout to pay for his day tickets, never made a bean out of angling.

Even **** Walker never made all that much money out of the sport, other than payment for articles and his AT column. He was Technical Director of Lloyds of Letchworth - a lawnmower company from the end of the war until his death. Walker could have made a fortune out of angling, especially with innovations like the Arlesey Bomb and the Heron Bite Alarm. But he chose not to.

I have been at several occasions where Walker has spoken. He never asked a penny for being there, unlike many of the "names" of today.

However I have nothing against professional anglers. Many of them have put house, job and family life on the line to get where they are today.

Good luck to them.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Our Graham is of course a great angler. I don't consider him to be a professional angler as before he ran FM, he was involved in Engineering with the MoD.

And running a website like FM does not entail fishing for long periods. More like doing things that might not appeal to others.

J

jason fisher

hows about death he always catches what he's after and if you read pratchett he's no mean fluff flinger either.

F

Frothey

jesus, surely the best fisher of all.

death cheated jason, the flies caught the trout.....

M

Mark Hodson

My missus must the best because she can always tell me where i've gone wrong !! Seriously though top all round angler ever must be **** Walker , followed by John Wilson. Best Matchmen Bob Nudd followed by Ivan Marks.

B

Birds Nest 2

Me. I always enjoy my fishing, despite what I catch. Makes me the best, dunnit?

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Very true.

**** Walker once said that the most successful anglers were those who enjoy it most, irrespective as to what they catch.

B

big boy

dont know you all very well but i thought you all would of said yourselves!!.

B

big boy

well if its matchmen your on about, well its got to be. IN 1st Bob nudd IN 2nd alan scotthorne IN 3rd well you choose.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

If you are talking about any of the disciplines of our sport, then isolating one particulate aspect of angling makes the choice easier.

And with match angling it does make it easier, or does it? It's easy to say Bob Nudd because he has won the World Championship 4 times, Just as it's easy to say Ernie Els in golf because he is by far and away the most consistant golfer of modern times.

But if you go a bit deeper into the subject, you have to consider anglers such as Billy Lane, Ivan Marks, Benny Ashurst and others who did not have the modern tackle nor competitions with big money.

Billy Lane won the World championship with rod and reel against the rest of Europe who were using poles at the time.

But maybe my friend Peter Jacobs should comment on this. He was far more involved with international match angling.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Theres always if when comparing now and then situations. Would Billy Lane have won these days with a pole. Would Richard Walker been as inventive with all the modern gear available these are questions that can never be answered.