Fox warriors too soft???

alex stopps

Reaction score
Hi i fish a fox warrior 2.75tc for my carp setup and after using a friends rod the other day which is a greys prodigy of the same test curve it feels considerably softer and more subtle,he also has a nash outlaw 2.5 which also feels stiffer than my 2.75 warrior. Is this just due to the action of the rod and that tip just 'feels' softer? I can get good bends in it just of 4lb fish whereas my friends would be virtually straight. Help would be great

Carpfish_2004

Reaction score
why would you want a stiffer rod. Because of the softness of the warrior it allows it to absorb quick runs of carp were a stiffer rod may pull the hook. Their also not to soft as I've been recently using the method feeder with my 2.5 warrior. You're 2.75 rods meant to bend with a 4lb carp as it only takes 2.75 pound to make the rod bend 90 degrees from the butt. I like a good bend in the rod as it allows easier stopping and playing abiltiy. I love the fox warriors!

M

michael rouse

Prodigys are pokers but fantastic for the price.Greys should make the prodigy a pike rod because its fantasitc for heavy deadbaits.

F

Frothey

you're better off with a "softer" rod....its more about action. it wasnt all that long ago that 2 1/2lb was a lot for a rod. technology has come on a bit since then, but i doubt that 5% of the people using all these 3 1/4+ tc fast taper rods need it....

B

Bill Cox

Well said frothman ,to many people buy what they think makes them look cool and don,t bother to even think about what they actually intend to do with it.

W

Wolfman Woody

I've have 2?lb Prodigy rods. Lovely!!!

They'll punch out a bait a fair distance, although they're probably not the greatest, but they're soft enoug to handle the fish close in. Well, I'm happy enough so there!

Steve Cartwright

Reaction score
Hmm, The warrior is not a distance rod by any stretch of the imagination!but if your fishing short to medium distance then you have not got a problem.
I have the X-Flites in 12ft 6" x 3.5lb Tc and they are a dream,both for distance casting and even better for bag work etc,as for playing qualities,quality!!
Its not just about the Tc its about the action of the rod.

alex stopps

Reaction score
ok cheers guys. went into my local tackle shop (j and k) before my last session and they sadi that generally Daiwa test curves are true to what they say and Fox and Shimano can very but also said just because a rod 'feels' stiffer it doesnbt mean to say that it is. Its all down to action apparently. does anyone know what action the warriors are compared to other rods, tip or through?
Anyway went on that day to fish a night session with a mate. Landed fourteen fishin the seeionm biggest being 14lb. My mate fished two prodigys and we each fished one rod in the margins which turned out to be very hot indeed. I had a chuckle as he pulled the hook from nearly every run he had from the margins. I told myself it was due to his stiffer action! I fished my grauvell barbel bionic 1.75tc in the margins and landed every run :)

F

Frothey

i bit the fish found it hilarious as the hook was ripped out..... :(

ignore everything about everyone will say about actions, tc's etc. if it casts far enough, and stops the fish, then its good enough. you only need to change if the circumstances change (cant cast far enough, etc)

F

Frothey

chill? i'm hardly even tepid...... ;)

maybe he was dropping fish because their was something wrong with the rig....i use 13ft3lb's even in the margins and dont drop too many. when you do drop lots of fish, try changing the rig....