Barbel Society waters

N

Nigel Moors 2

Have tried e-mailing barbel society for answer to this question but have had no reply. Can anyone advise if the single joining fee allow members to fish society waters with no extra fees?

W

Wolfman Woody

Not sure Nigel, but Beauchamp Court was the only venue open to members. It may well have changed now of course, they have another stretch of the Severn. The Teme stretch I think is still extra.

I stand to be corrected, but the reason I am posting is that whilst trying to find you some information I dug up two letters that Peter Stone wrote to me, one shortly before he died. Thank you for that, it brought back some memories of a very nice man.

For Beauchamp, take ropes and a ladder with you to get down to the river. On the Teme, some ropes are installed already.

N

Nigel Moors 2

Cheers Jeff. And you're right about Peter Stone. Always knew what a great angler he was from his many articles, TV stuff etc but one night when dog walking around Guys lakes in Stanton Harcourt I bumped into him evening fishing for chub. About three hours later I managed to drag myself away ( my lad was about 9 then and bored rigid I think ). Also fished a local lake a few times alongside a couple of right old likely lads full of fishy tales and one of them had done quite a bit of photography for Peter. Lots of tales there but wish I'd known him personally but at the wrong end of the generation gap unfortunately. You were lucky if you knew him enough to write...true of many of the old greats I should think.

jp

Reaction score
The annual membership fee does not provide any fishing.

Details of fisheries available are on the BS website:- http://www.thebarbelsociety.co.uk/fisheries.asp

I can look out the costs (probably sometime tomorrow) if you let me know which fishery you are interested in Nigel.

P

pons

Morning All,
The joining fee has never entitled any member access to the Fisheries,a separate ticket has always been required,Beauchamp Court being the original and most popular one,historically,and rightly so,producing huge fish on a regular basis,year on year.

Regarding BC,most swims have very good access,with wooden steps and small platforms,shored with wood,and strenuous efforts are made every year to maintain the Fishery,though silt after floods can make it dangerous ,and I regularly take a small ladies spade in my quiver as extra Insurance.
The Teme due to its sandy soil is hard to make lasting swims,so we rarely bother with platforms,prefering to take Dog Spikes fitted with a reliable rope and small spades,and great respect needed as high banks and and very strong currents can prevail.
The summer is normally fine,but winter flows are very fierce and dangerous.
Most Fisheries have safe and good car parks,with locked gates,and car parking passes need to be displayed,which works very well for bailifing purposes,and we rarely have problems with "guests "!

The website should give all the info required to find out more of the BS and its Fisheries,and any phone nos required.
Hope that helps,
The Pons.

W

Wolfman Woody

Ok, I stand corrected by The Pons. I fished Beauchamp when we had meetings at Upton, finished after lunch then went fishing at Beauchamp and once went over to Bransford. One chub for all my efforts. After the first time I took some bivvy pegs and a few yards of rope.

Sound like the wooden steps and small platforms are a recent introduction. I hope the BS applied for "planning permission" from the EA, AS YOU SHOULD for anything within 5 metres (is it?) of the bank!!!