Most Fish in the One Day

jcp01

Reaction score
Last Sunday I had seven species in the one day from a small stream local to me. Chub, perch, minnow, bullhead, dace, roach and a wild brown trout. The stream could have contained a few more but I couldn't find them.

What's the most you have ever caught in the one session?

heathbryant45

Reaction score
I think it was 500 odd Carp in 6 hours at Polymedia in Cyprus. Fishing about a foot from the bank on a heavy whip type setup (no float, straight through) in about 18 inches of water, air temp of around 90. I came about fourth!

Species wise, not sure.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Probably about seven. Used to do that regularly when I was a kid but much less so in recent years. It all depends on the venue really. A lot of species have become rather rare. It's ages since I saw a stickleback or a loach.

Lark

Reaction score
I had a bizzare days fishing on the Colnebrooke near the Buddhist mission near Denham back in the late 80's. I managed eleven different species in that session, including my one and only ever grayling. I also had the very strange occurrence of large badger walk slowly past me and not even seem to notice I was there. Wonderful times.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Most Fish in the One Day

The most Fish i or anyone has caught in one day is exactly one.

The rest are Fishes :D

Unless all the fish you caught were of the same species, then i think they are called Fish even in the Plural sense of the word.

Pedantic sod ain't i, but, on the positive side, i did at least answer :D

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
7 species from the Colne last wednesday. roach, dace, chub, perch, bream ,gudgeon and bleak. Rufus.
I don't know whether you mean species or simply number of fish in one day?
Last season I caught 88 minnows in the last hour of a match and squeezed a section win, I think Mr Wintle might take some beating for the number of fish in a day.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
11 species a couple of times in the species race even though it was a multi day event. I don't know if that's my best ever, certainly had 10 a few times.

Hadrian Whittle had 2100 bleak in a 5 hour match - my best match numbers were 1320 rudd in 5 hours (other catches over 1000 rudd) and 950 bleak in 5 hours, also had 550 roach in a match and 550 dace in another match.

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
I've had quite a few multi species sessions and they generally occur when I fish in a match style using size 24 or 22 hooks to a 12oz bottom, they consisted of:

Bullhead
Dace
Gudgeon
Minnow
Perch
Roach
Skimmer
Stickleback

Last edited:

jcp01

Reaction score
Most species is what I was thinking, but '1320 rudd in 5 hours' is unthinkable! so, whatever is most outlandish .

Hang on, that's 4.4 per minute...!

Last edited:

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
Most (proper) fish in a days fishing was 47 chub (from about 2lb - 5lb-080z) from the top swim on the Sheephills section of the Swale.

Highest number of species in a day is 12, believe it or not from the Wear. Chub, dace, roach, bream, perch, barbel, eel, gudgeon, brown trout, sea trout, rainbow trout and a flattie of some kind (not sure what as it was many years ago before a higher weir was built at Chester le Street) We also used to get the large sea lamprey up the river as high as Durham in those days.

If anyone thinks that's high for a northern spate river, the Wear also holds: Brook lamprey, salmon, carp (several types) tench, pike, grayling, along with the usual smaller species,(but never seen/heard of a Tommy R) and I and a friend are sure we have seen a sturgeon in different sections of the river. Dead zander have also been found but these were believed to have been introduced by certain 'specimen' angler a few years back. Unconfirmed catfish have also been reported in the last 12 months

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Re 88 minnows........in the trees Skippy.

in a very shallow swim on the Colne, peg down match. 10 am "all in " waders on, in 3" of water. Nice far bank trot in a gulley. First chuck with 14ft rod ,small stick, and a chub around 6 oz. YES I thought. Then nothing till 3pm.
Last hour, the same rod and and a hastily modified pole float and rig found an upstream shoal of minnows and emptied it whip to hand style.

I enjoyed that more than a lot of the carp bagging stuff etc on our match calendar.

Mr Crabtree would have been proud..........

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I take my hat off to you,sir. Colne regulars will be familiar with that dream draw "Cyanide Straight"....and for those that do not know the river Simon's "gulley" was probably 2 foot long and 5 inches deep. That constitutes a bomb hole on certain stretches.

barbeldave

Reaction score
I had nine species from the Wensum at Taverham Mill one day a couple of years ago - barbel, bullhead, brown trout, chub, dace, gudgeon, perch, roach and minnow.