How many of you...

F

Frothey

Think about the strain of carp in your lakes before designing your chosen rig?

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
sorry for being stupid but whats the diffrence theres king carp and wildies or are you going into more depth with the breeding lines and what diffrence does the rig make.

F

Frothey

different strains as galacians (the famous "don leney" carp) dinks, italians, auschegrund(sp?), frame, royalle....
look at a leney, then an italian. they woulb both feed totally differently on the bottom. an auschegrund (like mangroves "scaley") would probably find it easier to feed on the side of a bar or steep margin than an italian.
because of the body shape and mouth positionrigs would(?) need to be different. that may be why certain fish just dont get caught...the going rig is totally wrong for them.....

C

Cakey

If I go for the grass carp I think about it even more...........

S

sash

I must admit I haven't really and not too sure about the differences in body / mouth shape that would vary the feeding methods. Can you expand on this a bit Dave?

M

Malcolm Bason

I have never really thought about it Frothey - but it certainly is 'food for thought'!!!

F

Frothey

ok,

some fish dont tend to have too much of a gut, long lean fish, and they have a down turned mouth. this means they dont have to tilt much to pick a bait up. a short hooklink MAY mean they have a chance to back off and feel the lead before they are hooked

if you look at a fish like hortons "shoulders", the mouth is more horizontal, and the body shape means it has to tilt down - and then right itself - to feed. a short hooklink might work better as it'll hopefully pull the hook in as it rights itself.

over simplified i know.

go to That Aint No Bream Goto "galleries" and "horton church lake". Look at "shoulders" and "tetleys" and you'll see what i mean.

M

Malcolm Bason

But surely Frothey, when carp are well on the feed, not matter what strain, they will hoover up practically anything within a radius of what - a few inches? In which case, it does matter what shape they are????

F

Frothey

yeah, they'll suck it up, but will you hook them?

look at the way barbel feed - from what some posts say on the "barbel bites" threads, you are waiting for them to turn away with the bait in their mouth before you hook them - underslung mouth. i bet if they had a "horizontal" mouth you'd catch more as they would have to right themselves before swimming away....

look at a "frame" carp. like dutbinlids, very round. they'd have to go near vertical to get their head on the bottom....

F

Frothey

not necessarily phil, they eat on the bottom. they've tilted over, you've got them to take a bait into their mouth....what happens then?

P

Phil M

They level up, the hooks pricks, they run!
In summer,
but in winter do they want to use up energy tilting up?

F

Frothey

"They level up, the hooks pricks, they run!"

what if you're using a 10" hooklink? what if it was a leney that didnt really need to tilt? and not all fish bolt when they feel the lead......

do they use much energy tilting? wouldnt've thought so. but then a lot of fish in the winter might be nearer the surface than you think ;)

P

Phil M

Interesting, so in winter on three rods how do I cover as many options as I can?
Pop up
Zig rig
and bottom bait constucted with the resident carp in mind?

S

sash

So are you saying that a bottom bait is more likely to hook a slimmer built carp than a fat built? Surely the carp would adapt its feeding position to compensate for its shape?

M

Malcolm Bason

I think we also have to bear in mind the action of the cap's mouth when feeding - it protrudes outwards and downwards in one movement when sucking in food/whatever - personally I cannot see that body shape will make much, if any, difference?

J

jason fisher

nmo but it should have to to swim away after sucking up the bait.