River Barrow, Eire

Alf James

Reaction score
I'm off to Thurles, Co. Tipperary, Ireland in a couple of weeks. Unfortunately, this is bang in the middle of trout fishing country with little or no local coarse fishing available.

I've been told that the River Barrow is the nearest river venue with good stocks of coarse fish. However, I'm finding it difficult to get any information on fishing locations on the river, methods, etc. Is anyone out there able to help.

Thanks, Alf.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Have a look HERE

and there is quite a bit of fishing(Lakes) in County Laois around Clonmacnoise(I think)and the canal at Vicarstown which isnt too far away.....
If you ask around when you get there you should find some

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Here are the details for the Central Fisheries Board -- if you contact them, they will help-I'm sure

CONTACT

Alf James

Reaction score
Ed, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I'll let you know how I get on when I return.

senan ensko

Reaction score
Thurles, yep, trout country. You will be right on the River Suir, probably the best limestone river in the country. My advice..fish it. Coarse fishing? There is a small lake in Templemore, about 20 minute drive. Rudd, skimmers, perch. Other than that go to Ballinakill in Laois, about 40 minute drive. You are looking for Gill's Pond (ask in the village) full of roach, rudd, perch, skimmers, tench. Day ticket costs about ?5 sterling.