Bait bands

R

Rodney Wrestt

Hi all,
I'm looking for advice and opinions about your prefered latex bait bands if you use them. I'm after a quite small version to use with expanders and punched luncheon meat on a hair rig. I've seen the Fox ones and read about the Gardner ones (not seen them though) the Fox have about 30 per pack and the Gardner have 100. I've also seen the Roberts ones with the small tag to attach to the hook, but these arent the type I'm after.

T

tom riordan

I get mine from the local hairdresser 250 for a pound, they are exactly the same as the ones in the tackleshops they can be got in three sizes the smallest ones are a tight fit on 10mm boilies and would be a tight fit on smaller. The largest I use on 22mm halibut pellets and the are perfect for the job. You would probably get them on the hairdressing section at the large supermarkets so keep an eye out for them. They come in a little zippered pouch and are called no more snags polyeurathane hairbands.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Rodney,
The John Roberts bait bands don't seem to stretch as much as the total carp ones.
The total carp bands are ?1.60 for 30, of which you get two sizes. A micro which is ideal for 8mm pellets as they stretch quite a lot and are a tight fit.
With these you usually slip the hook under the band and that works fine.
What I have been doing is to whip the band onto the hookshank, this way you don't lose them when a fish takes youre bait. Unless you lose them in a snag, also it saves fiddleing about in the dark. They will last a fair number of sessions. I have only used one packet this season, that's 15 as they come mixed. I just baught a new packet this weekend, so they should see me well out of the rest of the season.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Thanks Tom, Baz. I'll have a look for the hair bands next time I'm in Tesco, they have a beauty section hopefully pick up a pack. 250 should last a season or ten, are they as slim and pliable as the latex?.

Baz, my tackle shop doesn't stock T.C. products, I agree the Roberts ones looked a little robust, more for the big baits.

I will be tying them to the hair to use as a stop instead of the usual plastic type.

Put a piece of meat or pellet onto a baiting needle, hook the band and stretch it, then slide the bait onto the hair and release the band. This lets the band grip the bait from the inside and means quicker baiting and less fiddling with stops.

Thanks for your input lads.
Tight lines.

W

Wolfman Woody

Must agree, I didn't like the John Roberts bands, but the Gardner ones were great. Just enough in a pack to last a few seasons and good quality too.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I like Gardner tackle Jeff, but I hadn't seen any of their bands, so I'll check them out in the next couple of days.

D

Dave O'L

Rodney in a beauty section?
with a reputation like yours?
Don't get lost. :)

I've not yet had chance to try it but I'm been thinking for a while about giving the stretch band approach a go. I think the only thing you loose is the length & flexability of a hair.
I find I just can't get on with hair stops as I don't use them enough.

I got a bag of no names (250 bands) from local shop for a couple of quid. I'll certainly keep an eye out for the beauty (& Rodney) section when next in Tescos.

All I do with these to attach them to the hook is a over hand loop. Can move it where I want on the hook & can't be pulled off.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I've got a packet of no name bands that my lad bought in a tackle shop in London, ?2 for 100 bands. They are just the job for pellets from 6mm up to 22mm and if attached to the hook as above, one will last a whole session. The plastic ones are about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike, complete waste of money.

R

Rodney Wrestt

"Rodney in a beauty section?
with a reputation like yours?"

It's alright Dave, I'll be browsing in a rugged manly kind of way...... probly send the missus .....or the kid :eek:)

I thought you might have access to surgical bands in your line of work Dave? a sliver off a 6mm - 8mm piece of tubing would do the job...... might have to cut down the bands on me blackwidow :eek:)

C

Cakey

Ive had a pack of gardener ones for just under a year and now they are useless
they just break up when I try to use them

R

Rodney Wrestt

Have they eroded or went crumbly around the edges Cakey or are they just snapping?

R

Rodney Wrestt

The missus had a look in Asda, they had some multi coloured ones but they were a bit too big, I'll send her to Tesco in a few days :eek:)

W

Wolfman Woody

I think you might find that can happen to many latex products, Cakey. It has something to do with the way the latex is formed and heated to cure. If the packet is rotten when you buy them, you should get a refund. If it happens sometime after it's difficult to prove liability. Funny stuff latex.

Never did trust condoms for that reason.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I've experienced this rotting once Cakey and I suspect its a combination of sunshine and heat that causes the problem so I always keep the packet covered now. Not had a problem since.

C

Cakey

mine are in a fox box in a fox system box at the bottom of my tackle bag so very rarely see the light.....