where to fish in and around the coventry area

S

Sean Kemp 2

can anybnody suggest any decent non-ripoff fisheries in and around the coventry area, preferably for carp fishing, so far i have tried sheppy magna mill pool, lakeside at wolvey, kingsbury water park, and willesley estate lake, but none off them seem to live up to the hype.

Steve Cartwright

Reaction score
Riddings Farm on the A5 at Grendon,plenty of twenties and a few thirties to go at on the specimen lake,Cuttle Mill fishery at Wishaw,over the road from the belfry,loads and loads of twenties,quite a few 30,s now and a 40lb fish,if you want any more info,drop me an e-mail.

S

Sean Kemp 2

tried the riddings, good fiserie, had a 19 mirror there, bit expensive though at ?12 a peg but thanks for the other two, i'll check them out

C

Cakey

Cuttle mill is the place to go...............even Des caught on there

Steve Cartwright

Reaction score
Did he???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Or did something else happen

PTnymph

Reaction score
Coombe Country Park
Brinklow Road
Binley
near Coventry
CV3 2AB

Commbe Pool

When it comes to carp, Coombe carp are a difficult fish to catch. However, because the stocking rate is relatively low, with approximately only 50 fish, most of these are large with the majority weighing over 25lbs and several, including commons, over 30lbs in weight.

Because of the low density rate, few anglers actively fish for carp at Coombe and the fish that are caught each year tends to come to the same few season ticket holders. Most of the carp are caught at night, due to the clarity of the water, with the majority coming to large beds of bait over a period of nights. Stalking is also a successful method, especially around the tree branches and margins along the Lindley bank when this is open for fishing.

Beds of hemp seed, chopped boilies, particles and trout pellets all help to stop the nomadic carp in their tracks. Due to the silty nature of many areas, pop-ups that are critically balanced should be used. If your bait comes back smelling of silt this is a good indication that you are fishing in the wrong area. By careful plumbing and leading around, hard areas of clay can be found and these are the spots to fish. In the summer a large proportion of the lake is covered in lily beds and obviously these are often a good area to fish to or to fish on in the winter when they have died back. Hookbaits should be large - over 25mm to avoid bream and tench.

B

Big Rik

"but none off them seem to live up to the hype"

I know how you feel mate.

I've had that at so many waters in this country and abroad.

Advertising and trading standards?

S

Sean Kemp 2

ah so, it's not just me that feels this way. don't get me wrong, i know it doesn't matter where you go your not gauranteed to catch.
but you get a certain feeling at some places that your not going to have a good day.
others you fork out your hard earned cash in the hopes of tagging a monster, only to be told by someone walking thier dog, "won't have much this week mate, they haven't been showing for about a month !"
wonderful, why couldn't the baliff tell me that before he took my money, honesty is a wonderful thing pity theres not more of it on the bank !!!

B

Big Rik

I published an article almost 3 years ago about this.
here

Not a lot seems to have changed.

C

Cakey

trouble is the bailifs I know are on a percentage of the day ticket money so they aint going to tell the truth are they.........

F

Frothey

lake sizes are always a little optimistic arent they? and can you really say a water contains fish *stocked* to twenties when that was 5 years ago, and it now weighs 15lb?

one thing to remember though is you are never guaranteed to catch, cant always blame the fishery for that. someone was moaning about blanking at thorpe lea.......