Holiday Near Wroxham

P

Phil Heaton

I am coming to Norfolk this weekend and staying at a caravan site near Wroxham for the following two weeks, can anyone advise of a decent local tackle shop or recommend places to fish.
I shall be bringing my lure gear, various types of coarse tackle and an ancient beachcaster. I am hoping to try lure fishing for bass along the coast as well as inland for perch / pike.

R

Rod MacAskill

River Bure is a good bet for perch and pike but I would fish either early morning or late at night due to heavy boat traffic at this time of year. From what I remember Wroxham Angling Centre is quite a good tackle shop in the village if it is still there. Martyn Page used to run it and had a wealth of knowledge regarding pike

P

Phil Heaton

Thats interesting as the caravan site is at the side of Ludham Bridge on the Bure.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Get hold of John Wilsons book where to fish in Norfolk and Suffolk. Wroxham Angling should be able to give good advice. Blickling Hall and Gunton Park are both worth a look. Plus you have the Broads and Rivers. I hope the weather improves for you the last 2 weeks have been s**t in Norfolk.

Y

yoggy

I had a holiday near hickling broad a couple of yrs ago and had a drink in the village pub i think it was called "the greyhound?"i got chatting to an old timer in there what a great bloke he was,he used to work in the local boatyard and he told me of a spot where i might be able to catch a pike or two,,so the following morning i went to the boatyard {the missus wasn"t impressed!]i took the bare essentials with me and landed an 8lb"er,,not massive i know but it goes to show that a friendly chat goes along way,,i"d pop into the local tackle shop phil i"m sure they could point you in the right direction,,,good luck.

J

jason fisher

wroxham has it's own broad doesn't it, i've a feeling there might be a bit thats reasonably quiet too.

C

Chris Bishop

Get John Wilson's book as Posh advises - complete run-down of all the rivers and broads.

Bass-wise check out reports in local papers, Paul Kerry writes a weekly column for the Eastern Daily Press on a Wednesday.

John Jones

Reaction score
Blickling Hall has some big pike. Try down the side away from the dam where all the bream boys gather. Its one of my favourite venues in Norfolk, very peaceful, and I've caught big bream and tench on both the float and the feeder. Talking to one guy that said he'd had pike to 22lbs on dead baits. Also saw a carp angler have a 4lb eel on a boilie! Good luck Phil.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Phil how did your holiday go? Where did you fish and what did you catch? Above all us I hope you had a nice holiday.

P

Phil Heaton

Just got back tonight, had a great time with lots of average to good sessions, fished the river at Coltshall, only caught perch trotting through the mill wier pool. The fishing at Wroxham itself improved as time went by and I learned a few wrinkles not freely available at the tackle shop and off locals the main one being the fish only seem to feed when the river is running, especially over the high tide,
Again I had some good perch on trotted lob worm, then I picked up a roach of 1lb+, this got my brain working and I decided to try trotting large diameter (6mm) punched bread through the hordes of swans that were constantly being fed. What a result 50 plus roach from 2 ounce to again over the pound mark on the first evening. This was repeated a few times and Friday evening a shoal of bream moved in, my best being 5lb 3ounces.
One sad note though, I had intended to pike fish but after seeing the dozens of totall w*****s fishing with inadequate gear, no traces, light lines, light rods and most of all no idea of what to do if they caught one, I decided they deserved a rest from further exploitation.

Y

yoggy

Glad you had a nice time Phil,,next time you go do try Hickling Broad i"ve since been back myself and managed 4 nice Pike the largest being 15lb exactly,,,i doubt those tossers you saw were "proper anglers" though probably holiday makers who only get their rods out for 2weeks of the year and couldn"t tell a pike from a perch!!!!!!!!!!regards.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Funny thing Phil, I heard somebody on Keith Arthurs programme last Saturday or Sunday who lives up that way and he said the Bure is fishing better this year than he had ever known it. I holidayed not far from Wroxham 4 years ago and it was a fish a chuck, all small roach, I think the biggest was only about 4oz.

Lovely part of the country though isn't it?

P

Phil Heaton

Yes it is lovley and the best thing for me was that the water was not 10' below the fields, but almost at the same level.