rob d

hasa anybody fished larford lately
i have a week off next week and fancy
a day or two there.
never fished it before so any tips welcome

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Rob.

Larford lakes used to consist of one big lake, about 38 acres I believe, and it contained carp, pike, perch, tench, roach and bream. When Maver bought it they cut a piece off it, filled it with little carp, and made it a match fishery leaving the other 20 odd acres as a specimen lake.

When I was last there in July they were in the process of cutting off another small bit at the far end of the specimen lake, presumably to make another match fishery. This will undoubtably be filled with yet more little carp, probably F1's.

The specimen bit contains carp to about 30lbs but the average is much smaller. There are some quality bream to 13lbs, good tench and decent roach. Method Feeder is the favoured approach but a float will catch you plenty of fish. Depths run from 10 - 12ft on the river side of the lake to 4- 5ft on the nearside. Its a large, wide open space so it pays to fish into the wind, the fish there (like most places) tend to follow the wind.

Bait, you name it, it catches, depends who you listen to. Bream do like luncheon meat but its not the only approach, pellet catches well on its day, maggots and caster will catch you lots of fish but usually small perch, roach and skimmers.

Thats it really, its not a bad fishery and worth a visit, just a shame that Maver chose to wreck it by making it into a match fishery.

The river Severn runs at the back of it and you can fish that on the same ticket, barbel and chub fishing can be quite good when the rivers right.

Hope you enjoy it Rob

G

Gary Wilson

Rob,

I night fished peg 86 last week. I had one bream about 5lb on the method, but not much else. During the daylight hours I was on the method, and a normal feeder. The feeder worked well, but all I seemed to catch were 1/2lb carp. They were going mad for any bait I put in! I tried to feed them off just before dark with aboul 2 pints of corn. It worked for about 10 mins, then they just went for it even more! I was after the bream, and a few moved in and I had about 3 upto 6lb, but then the little carp moved in and bullied them away.

There was a bloke fishing on the first little point as you stand with your back to the new hut being built. He was fishing a rod in front of him and had 3 carp upto 17lb overnight. His other rod was cast to the left of him and was about 3 feet from the edge of the pool! He caught a couple on this aswell. He says he had some bream aswell. He says a bed of hemp and pellet will sort the bigger carp out, and to leave the corn in the car unless you want 5,000 small F1's!

He coultd have told me first!!

Good luck, let me know how you get on.