gravel bars...

M

MaNick

ok.....

Fishing pits. There are two gravel bars running parallel accross your swim. not far apart....

bearing in mind we are all accurate casters, where would you place a bait?.....
between?, on the far side of the first one?, on the slope facing you?..

more importantly... WHY?.

F

Frothey

sunny day on top of bar, cos its nice and warm

slope facing, cos everyone seems to fish the top/back - but dont forget from the opposite bank your front is their back.

base of the bar or in the gully, because thats where the food is

so, all of the above...

M

MaNick

ok... i would say, the gully in between..... but, i'd getter indication at the base of the slope i'm facing, wouldn't I?

J

jason fisher

yes if it was a high one your line wouldn't have to go over the top of it, on the other hand if it's only a few inches high it shouldn't make much difference.

J

jason fisher

or alternatively walk 90 degrees round the lake and cast straight down the middle.
ha ha didn't think of that one did you.

M

MaNick

Yes jason!... but THAT swim has someone permenantly bivvied up in it....

Thanks for the advice though guys!

J

jason fisher

that's knackered that suggestion then.
is there any silt on the near side at the bottom if so there's going to be food there also.

J

jason fisher

or alternatively right in the edge by the near margin, you never seem to do that badly there.

M

MaNick

;-)

The lake is about 400acres, with 50 or so known fish, so it's going to be hard work!...

Off there this avo i hope, to do a bit of casting about for features,....

will look for silty patches!

J

jason fisher

any bits that are clear of weed must be clear for a reason, this reason is some times that the fish have kept the weed clear because theres a good food supply that they are rooting about for.
400 acres you sure you're not fishing the english channel by mistake.

F

Frothey

aye aye nick ;)

if it is, do a search on rmc's site, terry hearn wrote quite a lot on it on a post a while ago. seems like lots and lots of bait on clear areas...but what does he know :)

S

Stuart Bullard 3

400 acres !! Are you sure about that? 40 is big, 400 is ....in' massive.

B

Big Rik

you'll need a good 'eye' to fish there then unless the known swims are really 'common'.....

As regards position on a bar, it depends on the depth of the water and the prevailing wind.
The SW wind will hit the bar and deposit the detrius behind.
How far behind the bar will depend on the wind and how deep the water is.

F

Frothey

unless its a particularly wide, flat bar, hardly any bait will stay on the top of it for long....

M

MaNick

Got you there RIK!...

The swims are pretty limited, as it's a club lake... (as you probably know!)...and we dont have rights to the whole bank.

I'm still trudging through all the stuff i can find on the net, not for tips, just those little snippets of info i need.

STUART... YES!.. it's f'in massive, and to stand at one end and even contemplate fishing there is, to be honest, FRIGHTENING!

RIK?.. Have you fished it?, (I'm not after info, just wondering?)

M

MaNick

And, it's getting BIGGER!...

theyv'e started working it again, so it currently has ships sailing accross it full of gravel!...

They also kindly opened up a channel into the thames!... although aparently it has remained Land locked throughout the process!!!!!

F

Frothey

so big "the eye" hasn't been spotted for a couple of years....lol! i wonder about those little puddles (30+acres!) next door....

B

Big Rik

wasn't there rumour that somebody caught it and deposited it into the Thames?

Seen some gorgeous commons in there.

F

Frothey

theres lots of rumours.....maybe some french anglers caught it and shipped it back to a day ticket water in france!