trotting boilies for barbel

niteraven

Reaction score
Going to try trotting smaller hooking boilies straight to the hook instead of hair rigging,then put the smaller source boilies and hemp and particles in my bait dropper,and deposit them between the streamer weed glides on the Avon,I know those gready chub will be on them in a flash,but lets see what those big whiskeries will make of this,

B

Big Rik

I've had barbel and carp from the Avon on trotted boilies and big lumps of meat.
Big float, holding back hard and inching it through the swim, this was before I learnt how to trundle.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I have said this before on another thread but, if you loose feed anything in a river it will move with the current. Fish accept this this moving feed no problem. What is more natural than float fishing a boily if you're loose feeding them?

Like Rik says though, its best to slow the bait down. The reason you do this is because the current is slower near the bed of the river than it is on the surface, thus making your hookbait appear more natural.

I hope I'm not preaching to the converted, just thought it would help.

niteraven

Reaction score
I love to trundle Rik,you can search out so many more holes underneath that streamer weed,thats when you can get some of the biggest barbel
When I fish the Avon I used to set up 3 rods, one with a big avon float and my trusty match Ariel centre pin,trotting lumps of meat through the glides,this has produced some real big lumps for me,other rods were set up as a swim feeder, with hemp and caster,this was mainly used at the beggining of the session for putting down a nice bed of feed,and the other rod was set up as a link ledger,with some swan shots ,or a small drilled bullet,depending on the swim I was fishing,to trundle the baits along,and also on the back edge of the streamer,this was the most productive,
I used to feed about three lines the inside track,under the nearside bank,then a line about 2 rod lenghths out,and then the far banks,especially if there was a small eddy there,I always got the bait dropper working,I will never fish for barbel,with out 3,or 4 bait droppers in my bag
I found that this way of targetting barbel works on most rivers,get the particles going along the weed glides ,and you will temp the fish out from under the streamer
I remember fishing Watersmeet on the Royalty ,and using this method with the bait dropper,I got those big chub there all on the bank,,and then the big whiskers moved in,it was very productive just before the sun dissapeared,I had them on feeder ,float and link ledger,but I think this was down to carefull feeding of the swim ,with bait droppers and Drennen fedders with the holes bored out just a bit bigger for the hemp and caster to get washed out,as you know Watersmeet is the point of the island where the Parlour comes down to the main carrier,it has a nice slack and eddy just about 6 foot from the island,and when the feeder hits the water the chub rush out like maniacs to get on the feed,I tried for the chub first,and found that the only way to get them was with a long tail from the feeder,a real slow sinking bait,the tail was about 3 foot long,with a size ten hook,and 2 casters then a switch to a single maggot with hemp casters and maggots in the feeder,I tried some great big juicy slugs,but they didnt want them,just the particles,I kept the chub out of the way inside a nice big keepnet,and after the session,I must have had 3 pints of hemp inside the keepnet,,shows you how much they wanted that,,,that day was hard work,but well woth it,,,
I see so many people fishing for barbel just sitting behind a rod with a static bait,telling you they havent had anything yet,I think if they tried to bounce the bait around a bit more they might do better,,you can search out so much more of the river like this,,and I never leave the rod,,its in my hands ALL THE TIME with the line across my fingers,,the best bite detector there is
So thanks Rik and Graham for you points,will give them totted boiles a go lads ,,Im going to wait just a bit longer before I go down to the Royalty,,about the first week of October,,need to repenish the bait droppers lads,,TIGHT LINES LADS
ALL THE BEST