old dog & new tricks!

goldenboy55

Reaction score
I have joined FM for one reason only and thats because I have read numerous threads & posts and without fail everyone is sincerely helpful. Ok there may be a bit of teasing and leg pulling, but nothing is going to put off a newcomer or a new angler who feels like an idiot than to be treated like one.
I'm 54 and have been fishing since I was a kid, there may be gaps of several years when I don't actually go fishing but I still consider myself an angler. I'm not working due to a couple of health issues and I thought it might actually be time to learn how to do more than snag a couple of maggots on a hook and chuck it in any bit of water I can find in the hope I might catch something! Im a pleasure angler pure and simple. I can thing of no nicer way to spend several hours than to sit by a canal or river in hope and anticipation! I still have the same "just one more cast" attitude that I have always had, and I am as thrilled with anything I may be lucky enough to catch. I dont have personal bests, and to be honest I have never actually caught anything of a size I would even consider to fit the requirements of such. The largest fish I ever caught was a pike of indeterminate size (no scales) but I think some way short of double figures! Even the catching of this "monster" was a pure fluke as I was actually fishing for small stuff on float and it appeared the ruff I had already hooked proved irresistible.
The equipment I have is cheap & cheerful, and yes I know you get what you pay for but if I can have fun with a 20 quid rod and a 10 quid reel then why would I want to pay out more? (Even if I could afford more which I cant) What I really hope to do is learn the techniques to make the most of what I have. FM is proving invaluable and I intend to ask and explore as much as I can to improve my catching.
thanks for reading
tight lines
oh yes I forgot to mention my location, it's Leicester

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Reaction score
I have joined FM for one reason only and thats because I have read numerous threads & posts and without fail everyone is sincerely helpful. Ok there may be a bit of teasing and leg pulling, but nothing is going to put off a newcomer or a new angler who feels like an idiot than to be treated like one.
I'm 54 and have been fishing since I was a kid, there may be gaps of several years when I don't actually go fishing but I still consider myself an angler. I'm not working due to a couple of health issues and I thought it might actually be time to learn how to do more than snag a couple of maggots on a hook and chuck it in any bit of water I can find in the hope I might catch something! Im a pleasure angler pure and simple. I can thing of no nicer way to spend several hours than to sit by a canal or river in hope and anticipation! I still have the same "just one more cast" attitude that I have always had, and I am as thrilled with anything I may be lucky enough to catch. I dont have personal bests, and to be honest I have never actually caught anything of a size I would even consider to fit the requirements of such. The largest fish I ever caught was a pike of indeterminate size (no scales) but I think some way short of double figures! Even the catching of this "monster" was a pure fluke as I was actually fishing for small stuff on float and it appeared the ruff I had already hooked proved irresistible.
The equipment I have is cheap & cheerful, and yes I know you get what you pay for but if I can have fun with a 20 quid rod and a 10 quid reel then why would I want to pay out more? (Even if I could afford more which I cant) What I really hope to do is learn the techniques to make the most of what I have. FM is proving invaluable and I intend to ask and explore as much as I can to improve my catching.
thanks for reading
tight lines
oh yes I forgot to mention my location, it's Leicester

Hi goldenboy........Welcome to the site

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
goldenboy55......"everyone is sincere and helpful"....are you SURE you have the right website??(joke!!)

good to have you with us and I hope mixing with other(very)'old boys'helps improve those catches...and you're dead right-the knowledge gained from others is invaluable-except in my case!!

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Welocme to FM

Feel free to ask any fishing questions and someoen on here will be able to give to the answer or point you in the right direction - if there is a Fiah in near you come along and make yourself nown - you'll get a warm welocme there and learn somethings (even if it's just rumours about Spiders)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Angling is one of those things that you never give up entirely, a break, yes, but giving up? never.

Ask away and I'm sure that you will receive all the answers that you ever wanted, plus a few leg-pulls too, but then its all in good nature.

Welcome to FM goldenboy.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Ha!Ha!Ha!.....lets have a few more..Ha!Ha!Ha!....

c'mon England-they haven't played yet have they??

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Bog Off Golden Boy, Helping to strike a Balance.

That so made me Chuckle ........... It must be my Wicked side.

Ayup, Golden Boy o/

Lord Paul, could you please get the servant who types your posts reprimanded in the most severe manor, his spelling mistakes are making me laugh to much :D

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
Welcome aboard GB55, it's always nice to see people take the plunge and make their first post.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Like you for example...I shall cash in that dancing lesson you owe me at Blenheim. If you could do it on the lake we would be very impressed :D
I can walk on water Mr Skippy, never tried dancin on it though, will try it in 4ins first to see how i get on

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
4"...Is that the height of your heels...must play hell with the bottom of the boat!!

...personally I've found 2" the best for dancing..either that ot the 1" wedge crepes(known as brothel creepers if I remember correctly!!)