Rod identification?

goldenboy55

Reaction score
I have been given a rod but Im not sure what its used for?
It says Daiwa 5220-8 on it, its not very long and its seems to have really oversized rings on it without guides so I was thinking maybe a boat or pier rod?
Or perhaps some kind of spinning rod? I looked for the specs on-line but couldnt find anything so if anyone knows I would appreciate it

goldenboy55

Reaction score
Pictures?

hi again
the rod is definitely 8' ..... I measured it myself! (it also says so on the label LOL)
As for posting pics? I looked in the FAQ and cant work it out so I have uploaded some pics to the photobucket site and this is the link

Pictures by GoldenBoy55 - Photobucket

if it please you click the header to check out the pics. I took 3 which I think shows all the important aspects, that is the 2 halves of the rod, a view of the bare metal line guides, and a shot of the label but its not to easy to read. It actually says "DAIWA 5220-8 2.40M (8')"
What isnt easy to show in a picture is - and bear with me here if its not very technical! - how whippy the rod is. It has what I feel is a very springy action, my experience of boat rods is limited to 2 trips, one a mackerel fishing excursion and the other a bit further off shore where we caught pollack or whiting or something similar (I was fiercely sick on both occasions! what exactly is a mill pond? LOL) anyway the rods we used then were around about the same length but much more stocky with less play.
I have never been spinning so I dont know if a spinning rod is whippy or not?
If we can ID it perhaps I could even find a use for it along the spinning line?

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
It does look like some heavy spinning or light sea rod typical of the American market. I have one similar made by Berkley that I bought in the early 70s and used it for catching pollock and dogfish off Holyhead from a boat. It's out here now as I can't think of where to throw it, probably up in the attic, but it ain't harf heavy!

Wished we had the rods of today back then!