Fish Dreams

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
When I was a kid I fished for gudgeon and roach but dreamed of fishing Redmire Pool for a monster carp - a fish rarely seen outside the pages of the Angling weekly paper (there was only one in those days). Later, when carp became common, I moved my dream to catching catfish. From there it went to mahseer, sturgeon etc. Targets achieved, these days I am as happy when floatfishing for gudgeon and roach as I am when chasing a tarpon - but I still dream. Full circle almost.

What do you dream of catching and have your targets moved as you've aged?

Lark

Reaction score
Although I've not been anything like as adventurous in my pursuits as you have Geoff, I think I have have been as passionate.
I have targetted and caught large speciment fish throughout my life but my angling dreams always revert back to roach and dace on the stickfloat in perfect conditions.
Occasionally chub on the same method or on the waggler, drifting it under overhanging trees on the far bank. I think these dreams reflect the most enjoyable days I've had over the years.... Unfortunately they will probably remain as memories now.
I will always stay hopeful that the rivers in the region will bounce back. Signs are better this year than the previous two, so fingers crossed.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
I'm a greedy Angler.

What i mean is, if i could i would have everything, i would want to try all sorts of fishing.

I wouldn't be to bothered about the size of the Quarry though so long as i could just go fishing, when ever and where ever i wanted to.

Yes, i dream of being a greedy guts angler with all the opportunities i want :D

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
What do you dream of catching and have your targets moved as you've aged?

Having lived and worked in many different Countries I am pretty much 'cured' of fishing for 'strange and exotic' species.

These days I still have a burning ambition to fish Redmire for a week, but properly with a pair of MkIV Carp rods.
Yes, I know the place has changed an awful lot since the days of Walker and the early Yates era, but it is still an unfilled ambition that I have held for many years.

Otherwise, I've never really targeted Barbel from my local Hampshire Avon, so a double figure Barbel is on my list.

Also, a double figure Bream from a stillwater is something I have never really targeted before either.

Back in the 80's I was an out-and-out Carp angler but then stopped fishing for them when I lived in Norway and took up match fishing (there are no, or rather very few,) king Carp in Norway)

So this season I am aiming at re-living my Carp fishing days and am looking forward to a good few 2 or 3 night sessions while the decent weather lasts, into the late autumn I hope.

frippe

Reaction score
Fishing Redmire would be nice, my missus tried to get me on for my 30th in August but alas it seems as though if your an average Joe like me you have no chance of getting on unless you want to fish Dec or Jan.

A 20lb then 30lb then 40lb then 50lb then 60lb carp would set my dreams running, I am in no rush though and like to think I will achieve this someday.

A 100kg+ Arapaima, hell any Arapaima would be a fish of my dreams.

Wash that down with a fly caught bonefish and im on my way to achieving some dreams