Best all round carp mag?

P

Phil M

Relative newcomer to carp, (12 months) whats the most informative/instructional carp mag?

C

Cakey

Is there one ?

I like the new freeby one but cant remember what it is called so it must be really good..................

F

Frothey

buy all of them for three months, by then you will have the sum total of all the articles ever written........

M

MaNick

There was a "freebie" one that they were giving away at YAC....

Big Carp and Carpworld type mags are pretty good, although may be much more "scene" orientated than instructional.

Total Carp and Advanced Carp Angling are pretty good, although as Dave says, are a bit repetetive.

F

Frothey

carpology, if you like fhm.....

most are a bit samey, probably because they swap contributors! the hearn/warwick/hutchinson diaries in carpworld were great, but how long ago?

havent decided about the new carp addict yet, only mag i've bought in ages, might buy it again?

B

Big Rik

Phil,

why do you feel you need a mag?

Why not just experiment, ask questions on here, test at home and at the lake etc etc

F

Frothey

better off spending the money on some of the better books than on lots of mags...

or like rik says, on here for free!

M

MaNick

simple reason for magazines....

You can't take a laptop in the bath!...

B

Big Rik

yeah you can, you just need to be careful where you put your floppy

F

Frothey

hp (i think) did a waterproof one they mounted into a surfboard......

P

Phil M

I have read a few issues of each title, not impressed that much.
I do like to do my own thing, as Rik quite rightly points out practice and experimenting make perfect.
I've had a bit of success with barbel and perch, and in the last 12 months I've added carp to my year long list.
This sites great, but I thought I would ask about the mags to make sure I wasn't being too critical.

P

Phil M

Are there any good instructional books out there for beginners/improver's?

F

Frothey

tim paisleys "to catch a carp"

Lee Jacksons "carp clinic"

Maddock's "carp fever" - even the origional's still relevant (some of the rigs are now iffy though!)

look thru the technique section on here.....stu and rik did quite a few bits that might help

P

Phil M

Thanks, Frothey, I've made a list.
I know match anglers specialize on one or two venues, to become expert at just a few techniques.
Do the experienced carpers on here have a 'circuit' of venues they fish.
Or is it possible to become proficient in all carp catching methods by concentrating on just one or two?