Coarse vs Fly - are we too cloak and dagger?

Reaction score
There is a tendency for coarse anglers to be a bit 'secretive' about their methods and baits at times. Coarse anglers will often 'hold on' to information about prolific venues to prevent everyone flocking there in droves.

Is this the case with game anglers? Are they just as 'secretive' or are they more willing to share info on venues, successful fly patterns and effective techniques?

dezza

Reaction score
Fly fishers, with the possible exception of match fly fishers, are certainly not secretive at all regarding methods and flies. They certainly will tell all, especially on the big reservoirs.

Obtain any of the main fly fishing magazines in this country and you will see that virtually everything is revealed.

It's certainly not the case with coarse fishing.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Fly fishers, with the possible exception of match fly fishers, are certainly not secretive at all regarding methods and flies. They certainly will tell all, especially on the big reservoirs.

Obtain any of the main fly fishing magazines in this country and you will see that virtually everything is revealed.

It's certainly not the case with coarse fishing.

I can't speak for 'big reservoirs' because I don't fish them preferring natural rivers wherever possible.

On the rivers it is much the same though, usually you will find very helpful and courteous anglers. The same goes for the smaller lakes that I fish around my part of the world, very helpful, not secretive at all.

I have much the same experience when Coarse fishing as well, except on some known 'hard' Carp lakes where a little secrecy is totally understandable. Other than that most anglers are only too pleased to openly chat about baits, methods etc.

Maybe the Rotherham anglers are just a nasty secretive bunch . . . . . .

[insert U-No-Wot > > > > > > HERE]

Muffin

Reaction score
There is a tendency for coarse anglers to be a bit 'secretive' about their methods and baits at times. Coarse anglers will often 'hold on' to information about prolific venues to prevent everyone flocking there in droves.

Is this the case with game anglers? Are they just as 'secretive' or are they more willing to share info on venues, successful fly patterns and effective techniques?

TBH how cloake and dagger can you be? I caught my Barbel on a really secret bait (what Halibut pellets or Luncheon meat) [speci once told me that these were the secret baits doing the business for Barbel on the bristol avon, must have been the best kept secret in fishing that one....] and I had some great chub (what on bread or maggots).

There is not that much to keep secret apart from location? And if I have have spent a whole year working out where to catch my 2lb roach or 5lb Chub your bloody right I would keep it quiet!

I guess if you are a fly angler you might have just knocked your prize catch on the head and stuck it in the freezer, no secret squirel required! But I have found most anglers willing to help on both sides of the sport, if you dont ask you dont get!!!

Last edited:

Specihunter

Reaction score
TBH how cloake and dagger can you be? I caught my Barbel on a really secret bait (what Halibut pellets or Luncheon meat) [speci once told me that these were the secret baits doing the business for Barbel on the bristol avon, must have been the best kept secret in fishing that one....] and I had some great chub (what on bread or maggots).

There is not that much to keep secret apart from location? And if I have have spent a whole year working out where to catch my 2lb roach or 5lb Chub your bloody right I would keep it quiet!

I guess if you are a fly angler you might have just knocked your prize catch on the head and stuck it in the freezer, no secret squirel required! But I have found most anglers willing to help on both sides of the sport, if you dont ask you dont get!!!

I Have never had any form of conversation with you at all muffin and I know nothing about the Bristol avon so WHY would i give any advice. This is one of the reasons why I don't come on here much.

Last edited:

keora

Reaction score
I fish for both coarse fish and trout. I think trout anglers are generally more communicative and helpful than coarse anglers. If I talk to trout anglers, they'll generally stop and chat and tell me the methods they are using. On the other hand coarse anglers often seem unwilling to talk about fishing in any detail.

Last edited:

Muffin

Reaction score
I Have never had any form of conversation with you at all muffin and I know nothing about the Bristol avon so WHY would i give any advice. This is one of the reasons why I don't come on here much.

Yes you have at the Bristol Avon fishin and the Itchen, its not a dig at you just a comment to put into perspective, get a grip! You actually said, its been on tight lines and they said: 'Bread for the roach Halibut pellets for the Barbel.' Oh and if you dont come on here much, how come you noticed this tiny snippet in the forum message????

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hmm...this is interesting.

Could the 'openness' of fly anglers be a contributing factor to the greater number of threads on fly fishing forums?

ie are people more likely to post a question or an idea on FFF because they think they are likely to get a reasonable response?

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Is it because Fly anglers knock the trout on their head so fish are only caught once and don't wise up to a "going" bait?

At one Fis In - not only did I let Spiders know what the killer secret bait was (maggots) I even let him have a pint for free!

Reaction score
Yes you have at the Bristol Avon fishin and the Itchen, its not a dig at you just a comment to put into perspective, get a grip! You actually said, its been on tight lines and they said: 'Bread for the roach Halibut pellets for the Barbel.' Oh and if you dont come on here much, how come you noticed this tiny snippet in the forum message????

Now then, now then Simon and James,

As Harry Hill would say on his Angling Burp....

There's only one way to sort this one out...

Fi.............sh off! Bare-breasted and each carrying a 10lb halibut as laid down down in FM lore by the Holy Marsbar!

We have strict rules don't you know? :w

Hope you're both catching a few! Lol!

My best so far 10lb 2oz barbel and a 5lb 6oz chub. The only bait worth trying tho is bread flake fished on a 2lb bottom...

You coming up for a fish soon then Si? The Teme's fishing its ar*e off :)

Last edited:

dezza

Reaction score
These days, many trout anglers practice catch and release, especially for wild river brown trout, and the practice is growing on still waters.

Prior to the opening of the large reservoirs to trout fishing, fly fishing for trout was the perogative of the wealthy, especially in the south of England where suitable rivers are at a premium. The large reservoirs created a breed of angler who all paid £1.00 for their day ticket and all noticed if a particular member of their breed was catching a fish. It didn't take long before the successful angler was being questioned. On one occasion where I came off Hanningfield on a hard day with a limit, my flies were scrutinised by several other anglers, as was the length of my leader and the make and colour of the slow sinking line I had been using.

And I didn't mind one little bit.

Try scrutinising the tackle of a successfull coarse angler and see where it gets you?

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Try scrutinising the tackle of a successfull coarse angler and see where it gets you?

Being an inquisitive sort of sod, I've never had a "successful coarse angler" deny me information. For the most part, the really successful ones know damn well they're probably streets ahead of me and my capabilities anyway.

Even more so with match anglers. I've been trounced off the next peg but still have had illuminating conversations. On very rare occassions when I've been the "successful one", I've been only too pleased to explain how it all went so well!

Likewise with the fly fishing fraternity. I had a very successfull day last weekend (three rainbows for 43lb+), when others were appearing to struggle. I had lots of friendly conversations during the day and got a huge amount of satisfaction when a fellow flyfisher landed his first ever double figure trout.

stikflote

Reaction score
I,ve be doing a lot of match fishing, i find if some one is catching, and you ask what bait hes

on ,you will not get the right answer but if fishing for money,thats to be expected,
even after some my matches when asking the successful angler you very often get fobbed off,.
I have asked questions on here before in the coarse forums and had no answer,s,i now have asked about fly fishing
and the advice is coming thick and fast on here ,thanks very much

Muffin

Reaction score
Now then, now then Simon and James,

As Harry Hill would say on his Angling Burp....

There's only one way to sort this one out...

Fi.............sh off! Bare-breasted and each carrying a 10lb halibut as laid down down in FM lore by the Holy Marsbar!

We have strict rules don't you know? :w

Hope you're both catching a few! Lol!

My best so far 10lb 2oz barbel and a 5lb 6oz chub. The only bait worth trying tho is bread flake fished on a 2lb bottom...

You coming up for a fish soon then Si? The Teme's fishing its ar*e off :)

I've actually managed to catch a Bristol Avon Barbel! Only a small one, but its still a Barbel!

I'll drop you a text and pop up to fish the Teme in the next month.

As for a fish off I'm not sure thats gonna happen a Speci does not even know who I am, about which I am truly heart broken....nothing like making an impression on people you meet :)