spodding

R

Richard Huggett 1

Can any of you carp anglers tell me if there is a sound reason for not using a beachcasting reel on my spod rod ?
When I bought my new rods I recieved as part of the deal a free spod rod {4lb t/c Wychwood Rogue}...I fancy a go at winter carp fishing this coming winter, and whilst nattering to a few carpy-type mates, they suggested that using a beachcasting reel wouldn't do the job.

Your comments please.....?

B

Big Rik

My spod reel is a Mitchell surf caster, mainly because of it's robustness.
Mostly metal bodied, 8 bearings, rugged, smooth, metal spools (for braid).

A proper workhorse.

R

Richard Huggett 1

Thank you gentlemen for that....you've made my wallet very happy.

B

Big Rik

not necessarily, a cheap sea reel is just as crap as a cheap carp reel.

My spod reel was ?160. I didn't buy it to save money, I bought it because I thought it was the best reel for the job.

If you already own a good beach reel then that's fine, but you wont save money by buying beach over carp, they're all about the same price.

R

Richard Huggett 1

Thanks Rik....I was thinking of an SKP Brutus 060 size, can get them nice and cheap. I don't expect to do a lot of spodding, my local lakes don't really need it much being fairly small waters, but it just may be a handy tool to have.

B

Big Rik

one of these in an 050 size, with a 5 year warranty.
Cheap enough?

If you're on smaller waters, then you don't really need anything bigger.

R

Richard Huggett 1

Yep....that's cheap enough !!!
The waters I normally carp fish are quite small Rik..Wylands for instance, you could cast a three ounce lead right across the House Lake if you wanted to! The spod stuff will only come out on rare occasions, but I thought it would be nice to have if I'm going carp fishing this winter for a change.

Thanks mate..

Rich

B

Big Rik

hemp and crushed tigers

or hemp and salted maize

stunning catchers, and as with most things, they are not used in the winter as most people are on flouro pop-ups.

Don't over feed them in the winter, two or three spod fulls and fish for one carp at a time. (unless all the roach eat the chopped tigers, they love 'em)

R

Richard Huggett 1

Rik...bought one of those reels this morning, exactly the same as you suggested, only I couldn't get a 50 size, so bought the 60 sized one. Complete with spare spool...?15. No complaints there then !!!
Fit the rod a treat,balances nicely as well.

What line would you suggest for spodding...I have a huge spool of 10lb mono, that be OK ? What sort of shock leader ? Any suggestions mate ??

F

Frothey

10lb mono's fine if you're not having to cast miles...use the old 10lb/oz thing, so if the spod loadeds 6oz, then 60lb shockleader....but then your not having to hit it hard, so one of thoses 15-40lb tapered leaders (like the esp one or a cheaper sea alternative) will be fine, or a braid shockleader. worth getting a finger stool if you're going to be putting loads out, and have got girly soft hands!

B

Big Rik

nice purchase Rich, a review after 6 months use?

Agree with Floppy, 10lb is fine with a suitable shockleader.

R

Richard Huggett 1

Girly soft hands indeed !!! I use marigolds Frothey, preserves the rough tough image...

Thanks guys, for the assistance...just going off to fill me spools with nice new line. The stuff that's on the reel is like baler twine and bright red...awful.

Rich

W

Wolfman Woody

That reel look bloody good value.

You know my situation now Sensei, do you think our lake would be okay with that and a Chub Spod Rod?