Fish Kill

Dan Bruce

Reaction score
There has been a big fish kill on one of southern Englands greatest waters.

Most commonly know as Cutt Mill, Tarn pond has lost over 260 carp averaging 20lb the biggest being a linear uncaught for 5 seasons pushing 39lb also another common of 38lb and a ghostie linear of 30lb were found dead. As you can imagine the regular anglers were devistated. Has any other waters suffered a loss this big?

W

Wolfman Woody

Seems like it wiped out 98% of the stock if the postings on another forum are to be believed.

J

jason fisher

what you reckon meat poisoning, sewage poisoning, can't be svc cause it's too late or can it? or polution.

W

Wolfman Woody

I think I read on the other forum someone suggesting dip tanks - total waste of time. If this was a disease, it's been introduced by a fish, possibly illegally stocked. Parasites don't normally kill their victims because their own life will be extinguished also.

That's why I asked how big the lake was. Next question what composition of aquatic weed does it have? It could be as simple as a massive oxygen depletion through the night coupled with electric storms. This year has been a bugger.

C

Cakey

that still dont normally wipe out 98%
as the fish die it leaves more and more oxygen for the rest so you get to the point where a lot survive

B

Big Rik

260 carp averaging 20lb = 5200lb
in 8 acres = 650lb per acre.

So it's not massively overstocked.
Carp usual stock at between 400 and 800lb an acre.

Alien introductions?

Too late for SVC.

Joskin

Reaction score
There have been several fish kills in the south over the past month. British waterways Clattercote and Bodington reservoirs have also lost alot of fish.

W

Wolfman Woody

I agree Cakey, in principal, but I wouldn't rule it out completely. Beside the 98% might just be somebody's guestimated figure.

I know you tend to associate SVC with Spring (hence it's in the name), but is that always the case or could certain conditions typical of Spring be the created at other times of the year?

My money's on the alien introduction theory. Some plonker introducing something without telling a soul. If true they've screwed it up now for a lot of anglers.

Joskin

Reaction score
SVC happens in the spring when the water temperatures start to rise and the carps immune system is depressed. I wouldnt think that this could occure at ony other time of the year.

F

Frothey

i wonder how many fish that people stock into lakes from their fishtanks ever get tested?

S

Stuart Dennis 2

I recently fished with Rik at Farlowes, but the morning we went we orginally visisted a water (quite well known, but I'm not prepeared to introduce terror tactics on the water at this stage). This water had floaters everywhere and fish scale trails where fish were pulled from the water by either anglers, ballifs or animals. We must have seen at least 6 dead twenties, loads of doubles and god knows how many died that we didn't spot on our ten minute walk round. The news was that it happened every year, but it doesn't all add up.

C

Cakey

they have floaters at southend too ...in the sea...you have to do the breast stroke to push them to one side....

M

MaNick

I also read on another site about the tarn pond, the anglers are devestated!... And the fish kill does seem to be extensive!...

dont know what caused it though...

C

Cakey

According gossip a lake in waltham Abbey has just been saved by the fire brigade...................