trout on maggots

klik2change

Reaction score
I have read in one or two places about how easy it is to catch trout on maggots... well, first you have to find your fish, so it cant be that easy.

Do trout live in shoals? If so how big are the shoals. What sort of groundbait would you recommend to attract them? Hemp and caster? Or what? Perhaps someone might write an article about it...?

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
Shared forum membership..you are a member ( I think) Try logging in.

You'll do a lot better with chopped worm though, a pinch of lambs liver works a treat too.

Someone is doing a maggot fly now, but I'm not sure of the target species.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
If you keep spraying maggots and trot maggots as you would chubbing on a river, if theres a trout about you should catch it. they are greedy 8u88ers.
The maggot flies are called Early bluebottles.....

Last edited:

klik2change

Reaction score
Perhaps the editors should move this thread?

You know, in the interests of friendly communications between the coarse and fly parts of Fish & fly...?

Who needs a maggot fly when there are maggots? So-called fly fishing is only free lining anyway. I bet a maggot would out-fish any bit of fluff. Perhaps Fish-Tec could then advertise floats, or maggot feeders on fish&fly? After all, we have to put up with all their paraphernalia on here.

Last edited:

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I love catching trout on trotting gear when we go grayling bashing in winter. It drives some of my fishing partners nuts - they think I'm potty. ' it disturbs the swim' they say.:)
Like the man says, forget the ground bait - go roving the river trotting as if for chub - and if they are there, you will catch them.

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Reaction score
Perhaps the editors should move this thread?

You know, in the interests of friendly communications between the coarse and fly parts of Fish & fly...?

Who needs a maggot fly when there are maggots? So-called fly fishing is only free lining anyway. I bet a maggot would out-fish any bit of fluff. Perhaps Fish-Tec could then advertise floats, or maggot feeders on fish&fly? After all, we have to put up with all their paraphernalia on here.

I agree...

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Perhaps this one could be a "sticky" on FFF (together with my favourite, particularly effective in the Stockbridge area: prebaiting with lots of torn-up breadcrust chucked in off a bridge or similar, then followed down with a piece of the same with a strong, very sharp, barbed hook embedded in it)...?

Perhaps not - the admissions to A&Es nationwide (owing to MIs - Myocardial Infarction (Heart Attack) | Health | Patient UK) might overload the so-called Sporting System...

cg74

Reaction score
Little and often, they're when all said and done the greediest and stupidest fish I've ever encountered, whether stillwater rainbows or wild brownies from a river.... Bread mash and flake on the hook is equally effective!

I am sure the only reason fly anglers use artifials is to make it harder to catch them and therefore more sporting, each to their own and all that.;)

But if I'm wrong, why do so many game fisheries ban groundbait and/or maggots??:p:p
:D:D:D:D

klik2change

Reaction score
MI... very interesting. I think you're right. As an honest man I have to admit that was partly the intention, as most of you well know.

Stick_Float

Reaction score
I had 3 trout yesterday on trotted maggot on the Colne (well 5 if you count catching the same trout twice, one coming the very next trot down!). Great fun on light tackle.

They go barmy for maggots and have watched them on the Kennet zooming around mopping up every last one that is thrown in, and when caught have a lovely maggot mash in their throats!

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Chalk Stream trotting.. excellent way to catch almost everything! Constant loose fed maggot will soon sort out the spotted cousins!

River Itchen - (but the Bait Pouch and catapult might just give a clue to the method!):

IMG_1452.jpg

klik2change

Reaction score
Fantastic fish Neil. I haven't seen a river brownie that big since I was a kid.

How did you cook it - or did you put it back?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Trout are instinctively preprogrammed to react to abundant food such as a major mayfly hatch, becoming preoccupied quickly. Chucking in loads of maggots replicates this so it's hardly surprising that trout are easy when you chuck in loads of maggots. Duffer's fortnight in a day!

Of course Neil put it back; it was out of season - he wouldn't be fishing maggots there otherwise - and I suspect the fishery owners would like the trout of this size to still be there the following Spring.

dezza

Reaction score
We have an all method reservoir locally that is stocked with browns and rainbows. There is always a row of anglers chucking out maggot feeders. Sure when the fish are newly stocked they are dead easy to catch, but after a few have been caught and released or pricked and lost, they become wise to maggots and other baits.

I remember watch two bait anglers on this water, complaining that they couldn't catch anything. I notice the odd trout heading and tailing about 20 yards off shore. I asked one of the anglers if I could have a chuck in his swim. On went a small black buzzer and bang, fish number one. I caught 4 more fish before the penny dropped with the bait anglers. Not only had the trout wised up to maggots, they had become pre-occupied with a hatch of emerging midges.

It's not that I feel sorry for a worm or maggot caught trout, I might feel sorry for the angler who is missing out on the most enjoyable way to catch trout.

And with practice, fly fishing can also be one of the most effective ways of catching them too. and since I go fishing for pleasure, I will stay with fly fishing.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
I used to fish a small river only minutes from my home, set in a beautifull, picturesque valley. The river had, and still does have a good population of wild brownies, although today somewhat smaller in size, and the occasional grayling.
For many years, a friend and I enjoyed many red letter days, and although few of the fish ever topped a pound and a half, there were many of them. Interestingly, I never used maggot, my bait par excellance, was either caddis grub, or worm trotted in small runs, or dropped into the small slacks behind stones or flood debris, fished under a small piece of cork.
Super memories, wish I could give it another whirl today. But working my way upstream in wellington boots, negotiating those stones and rocks is out of the question. ''Cos, I'm a knackered old codger''.