Doesn't anyone fish rivers these days

J

John Hepworth

When visiting my old home town of Wakefield last I had a walk round a large stillwater I first fished about 50 years ago. Chatting to several anglers fishing there I was shocked to find that everyone I spoke to had NEVER fished a river. Their ages were from 60plus to a young lad of about 15, who proudly displayed the name of his match team on his back. The lad did say he was due to fish a match on the Don in a couple of weeks, but I think it really sad that so many anglers are missing out on the pleasures of fishing a river.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
John,
Rivers are getting the publicity in the angling press, so you would think they are packed out.
When you think about it, an older guy of 60 or more may not feel up to river fishing anymore, with the exception of some of course.
Then we have the younger angler who usually starts in match fishing.
That leaves the in between ages to do what they want fishing wise. I hear of more people going into river fishing, than any other branch of the sport. But that could be because that is the area I am interested in myself. (We are a more peaceful lot anyway)

Jonah

Reaction score
A lot of younger anglers have been fed a diet of 'hole in the ground' carp, so quite simply don't know how to fish running water. A young lad I work with has been fishing for 8 years and never been on a river! So I took him on the Severn and he hadn't got a clue. What really got me was, we had some decent fish but at the end of the day he said it was too hard. Next week he was back with his mates 'baggin up' at Woodlands View. It's just so sad.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I started fishing rivers in the 40's when I went with my dad and to me it still has more magic than any pool can conjure up. Long walks do get to me a bit these days but I just go lighter and lighter and I can cope with most places even at an ancient 67 years young.

Dave Mcadam 3

Reaction score
Fishing the Chelmer on Sunday the bailiff told me he had sold 9 tickets over a 14 mile stretch,5 years ago you would have struggled to find a swim because of the amount of anglers.It's a shame because the quality of fish are so much better,on the plus side it leaves us river anglers more area to fish in absolute peace and quiet.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well I did say with the exception of a few.
Funny enough, I shot down to the river this evening, because there were two swims I wanted to try which I had found.
So I was all keyed up for it.
I baited one swim in true expert fashion, left it and went to fish the other swim first. I had three chub off it and then move dafter one hour to the first baited swim. I inched my way down the bank very carefully, as I would be fishing more or less under my feet. One eigth of an ounce lead, and I just flicked it to the desired spot. Perfect no noise and I just sat down when, SPLASH, PLERDOOSH!! Two kids on top of the bank throwing turfs of grass in, It Banjaxed my swim completely, I picked my gear up and started to move elsewhere.
I saw the lads who were about 8-9 years of age with the father. So I told him what had happened. All he said was I've told them loads of times, but they wont listen. I think I'll have to do some complaining.
By the way John,
Happy Birthday tomorrow, and you Graham whenever your's is. See, I can be nice can't I?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
By the way I was picking my net and bag up from this last swim when my rod shot off the rest. I jumped down the bank for it up to my knees in water, it was a three pound chub, so I didn't do badly after all. It was a very dodgy swim with no room for manouvering about. I shall be back.

M

Mel Crighton

Walking the banks of the river Medway today at Maidstone and can across a dad and his young lad of about 3 years old , the lad had a bamboo cane to which his dad had attched a piece of pole elastic, to a float and line , when I ask how they were doing the dad said he's caught more than me with me expensive pole, goes to show you dont need expensive poles and gear to catch on my way back I called in to see what the score was the lad was still in front mainly small roach but he was enjoying his day.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
What you young 'uns must remember is that us older chappies grew up on river fishing because there weren't any commercials and float fishing was the accepted method of catching fish. Feeder fishing was a product of the 60's with the advent of the swing tip followed by the quiver tip. Pole fishing is relatively young, sort of 80's, (yes, I know roach poles go back further but not on the scale it is now).

Having said all that, a lot of us oldies are competent on all methods and can feel at home on pools and rivers, float or feeder, even poles. Most youngsters can't say that, can they, so who do you think gets the most enjoyment out of fishing then?

I know you weren't having a knock at us oldies Baz but I thought it needed saying, so I said it.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm not a youngster Graham, just the wrong side of 50.
I allways ask the older chaps for advice when I can, They have been there, and got the tee shirts to prove it. I only wish I knew 20 years ago what I know now, Aaaahh, how many times have we heard that old chestnut?

J

John Hepworth

Thanks for the birthday wish Baz, my wife says she will treat me to a day out in Thirsk,(shopping) and if we have time I can have a couple of hours fishing, lucky me.

Iceman

Reaction score
I was brought up fishing the tidal Trent from 6 yrs old ,then later the Witham and Welland. Eventually going as far as the Nene (was born in Sheffield) .Tried a few commercials but not for me , so just plugged away on local rivers ,mainly the Don .Then 8 months ago moved here and now trying to tame the Thames.

J

jason fisher

sound like in 30 years time when you oldies have passed on i'll have the rivers to mysen.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I have always fished rivers and will do so until I die. Although I love fishing stillwaters they have to be as natural as possible. I particularly like gravel pits because you never know what they can throw up.

I also like fenland drains because they are neglected today, many of which give free fishing and are starting to contain some remarkable specimen fish.

R

Rod MacAskill

I think the thing is that a lot of people today want instant results and in some ways some stillwaters offer this i.e a non changing,well stocked environment where it is known where fish will be caught. Rivers offer a different challenge - the swim is never the same, water levels change the flow and one is never completely sure if the quarry is in the immediate vicinity. I, for one, relish the challenge, and would probably give up fishing if I was guaranteed to catch every time. Although I have never hooked an F1!

F

Fred Bonney

Happy birthday John.
I spent my formative years in in the 60's the local farm ponds and the Roding and Chelmer,then on to gravel pits.Moved on to fish the Stour and Avon then ducked out completley for a while.Then I found the Upper Ouse and more recently the Trent.
I'm hooked on rivers.

J

John Hepworth

Jason, I think 30 years is a little on the generous side for many of us, although personally hope you are right.

Talking of the more 'mature' river men, we've not seen Albert on here for a while although I've had a couple of e-mails. Hope you are keeping well Albert.

W

Wolfman Woody

30 more years will suit me alright, then I'll probably take up cycling..

Down the towpaths like a bat out of hell.