Where does the hideous term

• Thread starter Ron Troversial Clay
  • Start date
R

Ron Troversial Clay

When I fished in England in the 60s, no one used this term.

Today, it is used by the angling press, as a term to describe certain iems of tackle - eg: "Baggin Waggler", and even by fly fishers who have caught a limit.

It really is a term from the gutter, and I am surprised that editors like Richard Lee even allow ts use in Angling Times. It is an utterly low class term of dross and puts me in the mind of the language used on those God forsaken places called soccer terraces.

Our sport is far above football for goodness sake.

Lets keep angling a little bit above the rest. We do not need to descend to the levels of the football rabble.

Joskin

Reaction score
I dont see a problem with the term "bagging up". To me when somone uses thge term it simply means that they have had a great days fishing.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I've had a great day's, session's, week's fishing.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

so there's a problem with

"Wow, what a great day i had, i bagged up a good net of Bream and Tench"

J

John Hepworth

baggin up: Don't know Ron, but if you look on a thread I started on Profiles, some one gave it as their 'interests'
Much the same language as used by the headline writers in the weekly fishing comics. Some of these people converse in the same manner as the Chairman of Newcastle Utd when talking of the young ladies of Newcastle.
To my mind very distasteful.

F

Frothey

probably harks back to having a bag limit on the trout waters....bagging up was to reach ones limit...bewls where i first heard it. all those upper crust knobby types chucking fluff....

W

Wolfman Woody

It's one of those rare occasion, old sage, when I absolutely agree with you.

I detest "Baggin" along with "Landin' on a shedfull" or "slabs" or "Chuckin' a pig". First time I came against "Shedfull" was reading the late Frank Barlow's column. I wondered what the hell he was talking about.

Very proletariate. (snobby b*****d that I am)

F

Frothey

old sage....sensei.....looking for a path to follow grasshopper?

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Yes I spotted that John.

I have nothing against using the term if you are putting potatoes or other things in bags, but I think our quarry derserves better language than this.

Language reminiscent of the distasteful comments of newspapers like The Daily Star or Sport.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

"our quarry derserves better language than this"

What?

F

Frothey

they take the mick out of carp anglers cos we think carp are so clever, least we dont think they can understand us! i think the fish are gonna be more miffed that you've spoilt their dinner than using the wrong kind of language around them. never heard a bream complain when i've called it a **&*& old piece of &*^(^(*^^ #@~@#' at two in the morning, they just wink at me!

R

Ron Troversial Clay

It is the perception of our noble quarry by other anglers or even non-anglers that requires us to refer to more appropriate words when speaking of their capture.

Otherwise it sounds like we are chucking living lumps of fish flesh into potato sacks.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
The object of terms like "bagging up", "shedful" etc is to convey information to a reader and I reckon it does exactly that. It leaves you in no doubt that some lucky b.....r is catching more fish than you are, drat and double drat

Matthew Black

Reaction score
Ron, It's basically a match angling terminology that has evolved, and I must admit, whilst being mainly one of their ilk or fold, the continual use of it whilst fishing in a match (like; Daggas baggin' and Roy's baggin') gets on my wick.

Down south the expression is 'sacking up'!

Still, it doesn't apply to me as I do neither, and I agree with you in that I'd rather say that I've had a great five hours sport and thoroughly enjoyed the day ... if it ever comes along!

W

Wolfman Woody

"snobby b*****d that I am"

Yup - but it has nothing to do with "Noble quarry" or putting fishing on a higher platform. I just detest some of the expressions that are slipping into English these days. A lot of it is down to the gutter press, but I really don't see why we should follow.

That's not to say I don't appreciate or approve of dialect, slang and coloquialisms.

Sorry Frothey, Big Rik is my mentor and teacher now, not that I don't still love you (though not in the Biblical sense). As for Old Sage Ron, he just keeps harking on about Sage rods.