Runing rigs

M

michael rouse

If using a running rig and a fish moves towards me can i get a dropback on the hanger?

C

Cakey

in theory no..........but weed or some thing could jam the running part of your rig and then you could

F

Frothey

yes if you use light leads, tight lines, leadcore or tubing. running rigs only really work with slack lines and heavy leads.

M

michael rouse

Thanks.Also with a running can a fish dislodge the lead?

M

michael rouse

Sorry Frothey didnt see your post there.My FM is very slow.I have to clear my history and cookies to find out the new posts.

So confirm.If the line is tight then you cant get a drop back take with a running rig.

C

Cakey

I use 1/2oz leads and its never happened to me......................

J

jason fisher

that's cause you drop em from 300 yards up into 3 foot deep silt, most people cast forwards not up.

F

Frothey

how many drop backs do you get with fixed leads cakey?

michael

no, if the line is tight, you can get a drop back, but if youve got the line tight, why use a running rig? it'll just act as a bolt rig anyway.

tubing and leadcore arent supple enough to be pulled through a ring the "wrong" way without resistance - which is why you'd use a running rig anyway.

i only use running rigs these days, as far as i'm concerned they arent much more sensitive (other than a few situations) than semi-fixed, but are maybe a bit "safer", whatever that means....

S

Stuart Dennis 2

Michael, I use a running rig over silicone tubing. I use a swivel with one very large eye too (metal). If a fish is running away from you the lead (if heavy enough) will stay put and the tubing and line will pull through without too much resistance thus giving the carp a fair feeling of no snagging. I used to use a running rig straight over the line (without the tubing) which of course gives hardly any resistance when pulled through the eye. These days I like to weigh up the difference between the two. If you use the tubing you may be adding a tad more friction but could be helping out your angling across lumps and bumps on the lake bed in addition to caring more for the carp across its scales etc through the fight.

I agree with Frothey regarding the drop back scenario, but I tend to get around this by using a lead with a swivel and a fairly long release clip or snood and then cover the lot with shrink tubing. This gives me a lead with 2 inches of tubing before the running eye. My reason for using such a lead is that if the cast lands me in clay or short silt then the eye should still stand clear of this allowing the line to be pulled round. Also with the eye being 2 inches from the lead itself it allows the fish to pull the tubing round allowing the fish to give me a clear run anyway not necessarily a back drop. Hope this makes sense?

C

Cakey

Froth.....I dont tend to get many as I love margin fishing and as you know they tend to tear off at a rate of knotts.............but even when I fish tight to islands or snags or far bank I still reckon 999.99% give me lifts

S

Stuart Dennis 2

Cakey, are you saying you use 1/2 ounce leads on running rigs?

S

Stuart Dennis 2

possibly or even try fixing a running lead way thing kina rig thing!