Casting to the Horizon

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I reckon lots of carp anglers cast as far as possible for no other reason than that they can.

It's like flyfishing. Even when the trout are rising in the margins those who are capable of casting a fly at 30yds or more do just that - simply because they can, and because they get a kick out of doing so.

Nowt wrong with that I suppose as long as they enjoy it. But not the way to make the best catch.

F

Frothey

its been a "trend" since the 80's! same with sea fishing isnt it? you see all the holidaymakers blasting out leads when all the bass are hiding 30 yards out in the surf....

there are occasions you need a big cast, but then if you can cast a lead 130yards, you can put a bag 100....

W

Wolfman Woody

Nowt to do with carp, but on a Thames stretch at Medmenham, our lads used to have a match and another club (LAA I think) used to have a match on the opposite bank. Most anglers fished the feeder and cast to the opposite bank in between the anglers fishing there. It seemed so stupid to me that one day I started by just dropping my feeder into the margins under a tree and the guy opposite shouted "Oy! Watch out, I'm fishing there."

R

Ron Troversial Clay

It happened to me some years ago. I was on an Oxon pit and the only two anglers I could see had bivvies set up on what looked like an island in the middle.

I started stting up in a swim diectly opposite and at least 80 yards away. One big burk started shouting at me claiming I was fishing in his swim!!!

M

Malcolm Bason

Nice article Stu. ;o)

I must admit, I'm often guilty of blasting out a lead as far as possible, but having said that I never neglect the margins, and have a good root around with the marker just to see whats about close in! Usually have two at some sort of distance, and one close in.

Fairly recently, a mate and I were fishing an over-nighter together (2 rods each) and were both using our boats to about 10 years off large lilly pads situated at around 150 yards.

Apart from the usual 'boshing' amongst the pads themselves, the only other activity as the evening wore on took place literally a rod length out! We looked at each other, and realised what prats we had been!

M

Malcolm Bason

Doh!

"to about 10 years off", should of course read 'ten yards off'!!

I also think Grahams correct when he says:

"lots of carp anglers cast as far as possible for no other reason than that they can"

I bought some second-hand Greys PZ200's and some new Daiwa Emblem X 5000S's - a superb pairing. It had to be done did'nt it? I have'nt used them very much and the novelty is still there I guess, but thay have to be tested!!! They cast like a dream! LOL

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting and engaging article Stu. Thanks!

I experienced exactly this last weekend on a night session.

All around the lake there were anglers casting to the far off pavilions when the margins were alive with "clooping" Carp!

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Would have probably taken a floating crust too Peter and made that Barder rod of yours creak!

R

Ron Troversial Clay

The main thing with margin fishing, and I have done a bit in my life, is that you must remain quiet and still. It's surprizing how close a big fish will come if they don't see you.

Of course if there are a dozen time bandits on the bank getting well oiled, you can forget it.

F

Frothey

margin caught fish dont count (like those caught from the surface). anyone can catch the fish from where they actually are.....

F

Frothey

maybe thats why they fish the far margin ron, the fish wont be so spooked by your noise.....so long as your not fishing under someone else!

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I wonder what Chris Ball would say about that?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Ron,
Two of them did take a floating bait, not crust though, and sadly, not on the Barder either.

It was really good to let my children see various different methods of catching different species, which is what the weekend was all about.

Given that this was small commercial fishery, mainly Carp, Tench and Bream, I was amazed to see some lovely Roach which no one seemed to bother fishing for.
Other than me that is :)

T

The Monk

The long range thing came about in the seventies, brought about by busy bankside activities, carp moved away from the banks (Alleged) and occupied the far margins. This was certainly true on waters like the Roman Lakes in Cheshire in the 70s, which only had one fished bank, margin fish would only be caught dawn and dusk and long range tactics would produced the fish (ask Big Cast Harry)

I think these days though, carp have become used to bank side activity on a number of waters and many carp can occupy the margins, the trend in long Range however has been promoted by the manufacturers while in many younger carp circles it is considered cool and cult to fish long range tactics, so yes Graham I agree

T

The Monk

In conclusion, the majority of carp anglers who fish long range methodologies, regardless of venues, conditions and bank side activity awaremness are probably watercraft difficient Cults

S

Stuart Dennis 2

Sorry Monk, was that last cult?

You jump on a new water, you look for the obvious features such as islands, weed banks then cast away, when most of the time you've the exact same features under your feet!

I remember fishing with Cakey, Roto and Wol at a lake called Bowmans (right orrible place) we were on the specimen lake which used to drop 1 foot through the day and fill back up during the night through a pump at one end. I was lucky enough to have a good swim with a tiny bush to my right. I remember at the end of the second day dropping my hookbait in about thee inches of water and sprinkling loose corn and tigers around it. This was less than a foot out as well. Through the night it would fill up to a foot deep and that?s where I had it right off with some of the fish.

Madness, but I love it!

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Agree with monk about distance casting at Roman Lakes, I only went once, there were lines everywhere.
But this is a well written and thoughtfull article Stuart.
I like margin fishing or 25 yds at the most. But if I had a third rod out, there are some good features at 100 yds on one of the lakes near me. So I would probably put a bait out there as well, if I could cast that far in the first place, which I very much doubt.

J

jason fisher

stu you should have been in the olympics mate, if you can swim fast enough to catch a carp.

nick proved the effectiveness of margin fishing on frotheys fish in when he had a couple from the same distance out as the tip of his rod(i.e. about 4 foot) while i blanked 2 rod lengths out.