Line Clipping

Charlie Boy

Reaction score
Been watching old Matty Hayes again and when his is fishing over groundbait or method feeding accuracy is obviously very important, he suggests clipping the line on the spool clip for distance. Ok I thought but what happens if you hook a lump and it starts to run ? You have no way of giving it any line - any thoughts ?

F

Frothey

take it out of the clip before you tighten up, and mark the spot on the line with a bit of powergum/tape/permanent marker. after a fish, just cast back out before rebaiting, wind back until the mark on the linecan go back into the clip et voila!

Joskin

Reaction score
Clip up your line and then put a few turns back on the reel. usually gives me enough time to pick up the rod, bend into the fish and knock the line out of the clip if I think it will be necessary. I wouldnt normally clip up if I am likely to hook many unstopable fish though.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The John Roberts line clip might work. I only saw it last week and didn't take too much notice of it.
It's just a piece of plastic that goes over the clip on your spool,and spans the spool its self, then you wind back over this. Could be worth a closer look. About ?1.20 for 2.

W

Wolfman Woody

Or tie a piece of powergum onto the line, leave one tag long and clip that and not the line. Fish runs and pulls the powergum clean through.

Tend to use Frothey's first suggestion though.

F

Frothey

jeff - i tried your method as the clips on the shimano 10k's look a little bit vicious, but it pulled out every time on the cast. that is with method/bags/etc, would be fine with a float/light lead,etc

R

Robert Woods 1

Go to a cycle shop and ask them for a used inner tube. Cut into widths for your spool and after casting in put on. When you hook a big fish line should pay out.

M

MaNick

jOSKIN?...

If you clip up, then put a few turns back on the reel, arn't you moving your hookbait?... surely once the weight is in the desired position, you want it to stay there?...

I wouldn't fish clipped up, but as DAVE says, mark the line somehow..

W

Wolfman Woody

It works on mine Dave, old 6000s, but then I tie the knot really hard and use the tag pointing to the fish - 10lb powergum. If it does come out on the cast, as has happened, it puts enough break on the lead to stop it. Two turns back and it's in position.

I have clipped the main line for light legering on the GU canal above Tring. When you cast you have to bring the rod back whilst the feeder is still flying. Once it hits the water, you can reel in the slack and have up to 10 or more turns back on the reel. On the far side of the canal, where is a fish going to run to?

If it's a big carp and shoots off downstream - I'm up and off with it. It's never happened.

W

Wolfman Woody

PS should say Dave, I am a lazy sod and half the time can't be bothered for carp fishing so that's why I do what you do. It's not as if I cast for the horizon either.

J

Jonny Northmore

I saw this matty hayes thing too. He says when you clip up, next time you can cast as hard as you like at it will go the same distance every time. Is this true or just a load of balls? It seems to me that if you cast to hard, the clip would either stop the line and your lead would ping back and fall short, or your line would just snap, or the clip would just snap

P

Phil Hackett 2

Re. Above post.
Matty is a nice guy, but he talks some Bolloxs at times. You get when using the line clip recoil of the weight and that recoil can be anything up to 20 yards backwards, depending on how far out you're fishing and the size of weight used.

P

Phil Hackett 2

As Rob woods has said cycle inertubes are great, as is the method of pole elastic and power gum as the distance marker. You hear the the stuff going through the rings and you can feather the line down and land you weight a couple of yards further on than you are fishing and draw it back. My rule of thumb is, if I'm fishing a water with no carp in it, I use the inertube method. If there's carp in it, I use the pole/power gum method.

Joskin

Reaction score
MaNick

I do exactly as Cheeky Monkey said. As the feeder flys through the air I lift the rod into a vertical position and hold it there untile the line hits the clip and the feeder rests on the bottom, then by the time I have put the rod down I have plenty of slack to wind back onto the reel.

There are so many different ways to clip up but it just depends on your chosen Angling style. ie. Specimen Carp, Match, River etc etc as to what method of cliping up you employ.

F

Frothey

i came up with the blindingly obvious solution last night jeff, tie a loop in the tag end and put the loop in the clip. no way it'll come out!