FURNACE LAKES (Sussex)

S

Steve Mead 2

Hi
I am taking a disabled mate of mine to do a overnighter at Furnace Lakes Sussex,and wondered if anyone has fished it before and can offer any advice on baits etc.
Thanks
Steve.

S

Stuart Bullard 3

Steve - only once. Nothing special in terms of methods really. Personally I would do as I did last time and fish bags of pellets or method. We tried cockles as something different to boilies / corn etc and it worked really well.

J

Jonny Northmore

I've fished it a few times and had some quite good results. Boilies that stood out from the rest were Dynamite Baits 'The Source' or Mainlines 'Assassin8s' or 'Maple8s'. I usually fish on furnace lake itself, peg 67 to the opposite margin(not too far to cast and you can walk round and drop freebies in) This has resulted in many good fish including my mates 28lb Mirror and my 24lb Common. Take biscuits too as they might be on the top in the main section of the lake.

Oscar The Grouch

Reaction score
I have only been once and went with a group of friends. We all used the standard boilies/pellets approach and all caught well but nothing that large. One of my friends decided to put a cube of luncheon meat on one rod fished in the margins and it produced a stunning 22lb common. Bit of Luck??? maybe, but food for thought!
Im quite tempted to go back and try one of the other lakes so if anyone has got any advice on the other lakes on the site? Roman, Kiln etc?

S

Steve Mead 2

We looked at it last night and Roman Lake looked good, this is the one we hope to try, but the hole complex was outstanding.

Oscar The Grouch

Reaction score
Yeah, I had a quick look around the Roman lake and was thinking of giving it a try. You will have have to let us know how you get on. You probably already know this, but they will give you and your gear a lift to the lake from the car park in their quad and trailer.

S

Steve Mead 2

I will let you know we are going next week (friday) i expect its quite busey at weekends but we aim to get there about 3pm friday afternoon so hopefuly we will get a couple of swims on Roman.

S

Stuart Dennis 2

As long as you enjoy fishing less than 8 feet away from your next angler and are quite happy by the place being run by a little hitler then your have no problems - certainly not my cup of tea!

Rik?

B

Big Rik

Agreed.

They should have the word commercial in the venue name.

Nothing natural, squared up double pegs every 8 to 10 feet.
A completely false, stocked and manufactured facade of a fishery.

If you're happy to go there and put up with the owner and the complete falseness of the fishing, then happy days I suppose.

Not my cup o' tea at all.

Oscar The Grouch

Reaction score
I understand where you are coming from guys.
I would though comment that Steve said he is taking a disabled friend and I would presume that he has chosen this venue for its facilities.

I would suggest rather than slagging off a venue, maybe you could come up with constructive and helpful advice as to an alternative venue (that has disabled access) which you think Steve may prefer?

B

Big Rik

No need to offer an alternative, Steve has already stated that he's going.

If this kind of venue is the way that carping is heading and if todays carp anglers find it appealing, then I'm just glad that I'm out of it and back to general fishing.

S

Steve Mead 2

My mate has MS and needs access to toilets etc he also cant walk to far with his kit, i do not usealy fish commercial waters but for him it seamed the perfect place, better than allot of the commercials round here (Brighton) as i said i dont normaly go to them so if anyone knows anywere better with the same facilties let me know.

Paul Morris 3

Reaction score
Steve,i fished Furnace Lakes for years,i understand other comments about Roman Lake it gets very busy at weekends but i have to say the complex as a whole would be ideal for your friend.I would like to comment on the little Hitler who runs the complex,i dont know the owners personally but every time i have fished there and i have fished all the lakes i have found the owner and his wife,son suberb,always helpful,polite was very surprised to hear the term little hitler,then were all entitled to our own views on others.If it helps in the same area Menards Carp Fishery,also quite commercial tiolets etc also Furnace lakes other water Whitevane also in Horsham but also gets very busy but has toilets,but if you fish any of the lakes at Furnace dont neglect the margins Good Luck mate

S

Steve Mead 2

Paul
Thanks mate, do you think we will have a problem getting on Roman that time on a friday afternoon ?

M

Mel Crighton

Steve,For the better facilities, proper toilets and a good breakfast try Tanyard at Dane hill, see this weeks AT for full details, anyone with disabilies this is one of the best.

Paul Morris 3

Reaction score
Steve,its always busy on Roman mate even mid week,so i would say so Mate, if it helps,i fish there for fun its a break off some of my harder club waters,you could try the pond with the two islands (the first one on the left of the car park) there are 9 known twenties biggest a 28lb mirror the other all nice commons,but lots of high doubles and also close to the tiolet and lodge for your friend if you need any info bait what works for me Shellfish B5,over beatine,i believe lot of the lads useing tigernut boilles and having some success.One last thing Steve there are big fish in all the lakes on the complex all the best mate

S

Stuart Dennis 2

This forum is designed to encourage debate and opinions. Both Rik and myself decided to fish the water and got their for 6 am mid week, only to find a very rude owner and many seemingly scared anglers of the owners response to anything at all. This was witnessed. The night before we were told there were many swims available and that you can't get on the lake until 6am. We had a walk round and it was packed solid with anglers fishing every few yards in every water. Unless loads of anglers were magically transfered to the water overnight from their comfy beds then something smells a little.

We moved onto another water and stated we weren't going back. Don't like the management, the venues is pretty but ran far to commercially for my liking. Thats my opinion.

S

Steve Mead 2

Stuart
you are right if everyone wanted the same out of fishing a alfull lot of people would be trying to fish a few venues and we put questions on this list to get honest opinions thank you for yours.

Steve.

liam davis

Reaction score
me and mi m8 goin fishing at furnace soon ould some people tel mi the best tactis and baits 4 big carp on the furnace main lake xxx wts good for pike there aswell xx

quorky

Reaction score
we did not like it sayed one nite hes got an attitude problem .we mored to whitevine pond lovely place the owners very helpfull